Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

It's Official - CU @ NU is Primetime on NBC (6 Viewers)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Pelini didn't win any of these games (#1-15 at home). Callahan didn't. Frost didn't. Riley had the one. Rhule hasn't yet.
Hmmm yeah I can't remember which opponents were #1-15 specifically but early on in the Bo years I think there was a sense that we were on the upswing and always had a chance to take down highly ranked teams.

EDIT: Just for posterity's sake here were the notable wins/close losses against top 25 teams:

31-37 loss to #7 TTU

15-16 loss to #13 VT
27-12 win over #24 Mizzou
10-3 win over OU (at home)
12-13 loss to #3 Texas
33-0 win over #22 Arizona

51-41 win over #17 Ok St
31-17 win over #7 Mizzou (at home)
6-9 loss to #18 A&M (insane bullshit game)
20-23 loss to OU

24-3 win over #9 MSU (at home)
17-14 win over #12 PSU

23-9 win over #20 Michigan

24-19 win over #23 Georgia

N/A

So yeah, obviously close losses are still losses, and stupid ass blowouts and dumb losses became more and more common, but we did win our share of those big games from 2009-11 and that definitely improved the in-game atmosphere during that time. I think we can and will definitely get back to that level quickly under Rhule, maybe even this year...

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Hmmm yeah I can't remember which opponents were #1-15 specifically but early on in the Bo years I think there was a sense that we were on the upswing and always had a chance to take down highly ranked teams.

EDIT: Just for posterity's sake here were the notable wins/close losses against top 25 teams:
Dude, you did not include the blowout losses in there!! No offense, but what you posted was 99% worthless and very biased to a pro-Pelini perspective.

We had blowout losses to ranked and unranked teams every year in there and you magically left those out. My eye first went to "where's the Melvin Gordon game?" And I then I realized, oh, you left that out. Because that wasn't embarrassing, apparently.

Your post was brought to you by the Mark "Bo" Pelini Super PAC committee. Holy fuck that was bad.

You need to re-do this with all the 2 TD or greater losses we had. That will show you the entire picture (and explain the fans' malaise). You showing only the close losses/close wins is like a PR trick. It doesn't tell the whole story.

For example, your 2013 review magically forgot these:

IMG_1100.jpeg

Last edited:

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Dude, you did not include the blowout losses in there!! No offense, but what you posted was 99% worthless and very biased to a pro-Pelini perspective.

We had blowout losses to ranked and unranked teams every year in there and you magically left those out. My eye first went to "where's the Melvin Gordon game?" And I then I realized, oh, you left that out. Because that wasn't embarrassing, apparently.

Your post was brought to you by the Mark "Bo" Pelini Super PAC committee. Holy fuck that was bad.

You need to re-do this with all the 2 TD or greater losses we had. That will show you the entire picture (and explain the fans' malaise). S
You showing only the close losses/close wins is like a PR trick. It doesn't tell the whole story.
I specifically said the list included “close losses,” and you missed my entire last paragraph while having a fit apparently haha. My point was just to point out the reasons why the in-game atmosphere felt at times more lively and optimistic and less traumatized during a short stretch of the Bo years. Now go get some fresh air!

Last edited:

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

You need to re-do this with all the 2 TD or greater losses we had. That will show you the entire picture (and explain the fans' malaise). You showing only the close losses/close wins is like a PR trick. It doesn't tell the whole story.
Lettuce not forget the near losses to shit teams like McNeese St and South Dakota State....

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I specifically said “close losses” and you missed my entire last paragraph while having a fit apparently haha
Lettuce not forget the near losses to shit teams like McNeese St and South Dakota State....
Yeah....reminder: the original discussion was about the reasons for our home crowd malaise & why fans are a little gun shy now. And why our crowd noise sucks. The explanation was: they're jaded/cynical from all the losses in big games they've watched at Memorial Stadium over the last 20 yrs.

Then you posted all the ranked wins and closes losses both home and away as some sort of a counterpoint? That was a swing and a miss.

I'm not sure if you were trying to, but it came off as a pro-Pelini PR piece. You can't leave off all the 2 TD losses in a discussion like this. Those have a huge role in our current fan malaise (and you left them out as if they didn't hurt or something).

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Yeah....reminder: the original discussion was about the reasons for our home crowd malaise & why fans are a little gun shy now. And why our crowd noise sucks. The explanation was: they're jaded/cynical from all the losses in big games they've watched at Memorial Stadium over the last 20 yrs.

Then you posted all the ranked wins and closes losses both home and away as some sort of a counterpoint? That was a swing and a miss.
The discussion meandered to the question of whether crowds were gun shy during the Bo years, thus my post. No more no less. Alright that's all I got on this one seeya!

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The discussion meandered to the question of whether crowds were gun shy during the Bo years, thus my post. No more no less. Alright that's all I got on this one seeya!
Ok fair enough!

My argument was that this has been building since 2003 or so. NU fans gave experienced disappointment in high profile games at probably an 85% clip over that 20 yrs.

That's why our crowd noise is where it is now. But the demons can be exorcised this season starting w the CU game.

This matter is now closed. 👍

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Ok fair enough!

My argument was that this has been building since 2003 or so. NU fans gave experienced disappointment in high profile games at probably an 85% clip over that 20 yrs.

That's why our crowd noise is where it is now. But the demons can be exorcised this season starting w the CU game.

This matter is now closed. 👍
giphy.gif

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

I'm not sure if you were trying to, but it came off as a pro-Pelini PR piece. You can't leave off all the 2 TD losses in a discussion like this. Those have a huge role in our current fan malaise (and you left them out as if they didn't hurt or something).
You have me confused with someone who was pro Pelini past the end of the 2010 season lol. And I get what you are saying but I think both views hold water. The correct answer IMHO is we've been kicked in the nuts over and over long enough and enough times that as a fan base most of us are in "prove it to me" mode. I know I am even though my brain and eyes tell me we are getting better under Rhule. But in my heart I'll believe it when I see it,

Last edited:

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
You have me confused with someone who was pro Pelini past the end of the 2010 season lol. And I get what you are saying but I think both views hold water. The correct answer IMHO is we've been kicked in the nuts over and over long enough that and enough times that as a fan base most of us are in "prove it to me" mode. I know I am even though my brain and eyes tell me we are getting better under Rhule. But in my heart I'll believe it when I see it,
No I was agreeing with you. You're right....not only have the losses have been bad but the close wins at home vs lowly teams like McNeese State also are a contributing factor.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback

31-37 loss to #7 TTU

15-16 loss to #13 VT
27-12 win over #24 Mizzou
10-3 win over OU (at home)
12-13 loss to #3 Texas
33-0 win over #22 Arizona

51-41 win over #17 Ok St
31-17 win over #7 Mizzou (at home)
6-9 loss to #18 A&M (insane bullshit game)
20-23 loss to OU

24-3 win over #9 MSU (at home)
17-14 win over #12 PSU

23-9 win over #20 Michigan

24-19 win over #23 Georgia

N/A

So yeah, obviously close losses are still losses, and stupid ass blowouts and dumb losses became more and more common, but we did win our share of those big games from 2009-11 and that definitely improved the in-game atmosphere during that time. I think we can and will definitely get back to that level quickly under Rhule, maybe even this year...
That loss to VaTech in 2009 was a bad loss. Still sticks in my craw. Never should have lost that one.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
As long as we win this year. Been a LONG time comin'. Time to exorcise those demons.

The 92 game is one that will never be forgotten for me.... can remember most things that happened in that game, down to the particulars of many plays (and for good reasons), and what happened on the field during all of it. Was an epic beatdown we gave them. Just epic. That beatdown in that cold and shitty weather, is one of my most cherised memories. Some things are not replaceable in life - THAT game is one of those.
Weren’t you a part of the team for that game?

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
1715817700107.png
Second fucking year in a row on the colorado game. She’s from Chicago, family has had season tickets to the Bears for 50+ years and she doesn’t get why football is a big deal. She’ll learn.

Side note— We went to a September wedding a few years ago and she was shocked that everyone was watching the game and not dancing.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
That loss to VaTech in 2009 was a bad loss. Still sticks in my craw. Never should have lost that one.
On that 09 loss at #13 VA Tech. I remember the ESPN GameDay crew doing the highlights later that day and Chris Fowler just sighed and went "Husker fans needed that win, it's been a looong time." As if 4-5 yrs between ranked wins was a long time. Or so we thought at the time.

And here we are 15 yrs later and Nebraska has not had a single road win at the level (#13) since.

I think about that a lot LOL. If Fowler only knew in 2009 the 15 yrs of misery that lay ahead for NU fans....SMH

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
View attachment 37432
Second fucking year in a row on the colorado game. She’s from Chicago, family has had season tickets to the Bears for 50+ years and she doesn’t get why football is a big deal. She’ll learn.

Side note— We went to a September wedding a few years ago and she was shocked that everyone was watching the game and not dancing.
I'm not sure who is on the ropes in this exchange but I'm willing to invest a few pages of this thread finding out

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
View attachment 37432

"I'd appreciate being able to watch it live"

jesus christ, grow a pair and tell her she'll need to understand a few things if she wants a kid with you

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
"I'd appreciate being able to watch it live"

jesus christ, grow a pair and tell her she'll need to understand a few things if she wants a kid with you
That stems from last year not being able to watch the second half. But she definitely knows its importance. It’s her childhood best friend getting married, so apparently that carries more weight. Also, I think my sarcastic tone is lost via text. I’ve been bitching for months about not being able to go.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds