Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Mike Minter..not Deion Sanders signed the #1 FCS class.. (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Pretty Impressive

"In nailing down what according to both Rivals and 247Sports is the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class at the FCS level, the Camels are welcoming in 11 signees with three- or four-star designations, per the major services."

Very smart take, 500 less high school kids signing with P5 because of the transfer portal...means more 3 star kids fall through the cracks.

“I think the first thing was, the Transfer Portal,” says Minter, singling out the fearlessness of Harris and the relentlessness of Miller. “You look at that and say and this is going to really affect college football. When I saw Alabama getting into the Portal, getting guys, I said if Alabama is doing it, this is about to turn into free agency for real. I said high school kids aren’t going to have as many homes, and we’re going to be very aggressive going after three-, four-, five-stars."

Incredible..

"All of this, mind you, four years after Minter’s ability to convince the school to offer football scholarships, a vision he credits administration for sharing from the top down."

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
List is invalid without Dr Thom's right hand man Corch Solich being mentioned.

All joking aside, this program would have had more success and be in a better spot had he stayed HC for a few more years.

The spread offense being popularized and Pelini being the DC (and only the DC) would have made Solich successful.

I mean look at what he was doing at Ohio, that wasn’t a bunch of small town white boys running 32 trap. He adapted, he sure as shit would have adapted at Nebraska and with what probably would have been a legit defense. (Young pelini, only DC duties, pre-social media/pre hot take media so not as much of a fish bowl, etc)

At worst the decline would have been more gradual and the handoffs of power more unanimously agreed upon. (less in fighting, less drama, less unnecessary losing)

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
All joking aside, this program would have had more success and be in a better spot had he stayed HC for a few more years.

The spread offense being popularized and Pelini being the DC (and only the DC) would have made Solich successful.

I mean look at what he was doing at Ohio, that wasn’t a bunch of small town white boys running 32 trap. He adapted, he sure as shit would have adapted at Nebraska and with what probably would have been a legit defense. (Young pelini, only DC duties, pre-social media/pre hot take media so not as much of a fish bowl, etc)

At worst the decline would have been more gradual and the handoffs of power more unanimously agreed upon. (less in fighting, less drama, less unnecessary losing)
Solich proved he could adapt in 2003. Just wasn't given enough time to continue on that path.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I always liked him.

Probably the 3rd nicest player I ever talked to on the regular. (Burkhead 1, Ameer 2)
Yeah it's a classic cliche to think nice guys make for shitty football players, but that era really had some great dudes as our star players haha (conveniently balancing out Bo's psychotic rage). Prince was as nice of a human as anybody I met in college, Helu was famously nice, people whine about Kenny Bell but he was known for being amazing with the kids, the list goes on, just lots of good natured players who also got the job done. I guess it's also easy to be in a good mood when you're winning 9+ per year... fuck I'm getting nostalgic for the Bo era again HELP

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

A friend of mine was an Asst Coach under Solich, even he knew the Huskers were doomed under Solich. Said he just wasn't the leader that Dr Thom was. Frank clammed up in big games or in pressure situations on the sideline. As DeAngelo Evans said when asked to compare playing for Solich & T.O. "Coach Osborne was playing Chess, and Coach Solich was playing Checkers".

My buddy also complained that Solich didn't stress recruiting enough. One of my clients had a son who walked on at Nebraska. Frank personally flew out to Denver to recruit him as a Walk On. Meanwhile our recruiting class that year was terrible but Frank is working on Walk Ons. My buddy said about half the Husker Asst Coaches didn't give a shit about recruiting so it was left up to a few of them to carry the recruiting load, including Frank. He loves Frank and is close friends with him to this day but he felt Frank was in over his head as a HC at a Power5 program. We weren't run efficiently or effectively. Dr Thom was 2 steps ahead of the competition, and Frank wasn't.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
I wonder whatever happened to his kid that tried to play at Nebraska 10 or so years ago. That was a disaster.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
A friend of mine was an Asst Coach under Solich, even he knew the Huskers were doomed under Solich. Said he just wasn't the leader that Dr Thom was. Frank clammed up in big games or in pressure situations on the sideline. As DeAngelo Evans said when asked to compare playing for Solich & T.O. "Coach Osborne was playing Chess, and Coach Solich was playing Checkers".

My buddy also complained that Solich didn't stress recruiting enough. One of my clients had a son who walked on at Nebraska. Frank personally flew out to Denver to recruit him as a Walk On. Meanwhile our recruiting class that year was terrible but Frank is working on Walk Ons. My buddy said about half the Husker Asst Coaches didn't give a shit about recruiting so it was left up to a few of them to carry the recruiting load, including Frank. He loves Frank and is close friends with him to this day but he felt Frank was in over his head as a HC at a Power5 program. We weren't run efficiently or effectively. Dr Thom was 2 steps ahead of the competition, and Frank wasn't.

Oh I agree Frank wasn’t gonna win anything more than maybe 1 or 2 big 12 titles.

BUT, I think the program decline would have been more gradual AND obvious that there needed to be some sort of change so there wouldn’t have been as split of a fan base like we had after firing Solich and Pelini. The fan base has basically only been united once since Osborne and it was the agreement that Riley had to go. Other than that it’s been pretty divisive around these parts, certainly more than most.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
The fan base has basically only been united once since Osborne and it was the agreement that Riley had to go. Other than that it’s been pretty divisive around these parts, certainly more than most.
NU Fanbase Favorability Rankings since 2003:

1. Hiring Frost
2. Firing Riley
3. Firing Callahan
4. Bo's first 2.5 years
5. Hiring Bo
6. Firing Bo
7. Hiring Callahan
8. Hiring Riley

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Mike Minter
Barron Miles
Tom Rathman (coming out of retirement)
Turner Gill (batteries recharged)

Seems like a reasonable short list.
Are any of these guys really "Nebraska" enough to fill that role? I think NO! Scott is sooooo N.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds