Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Herbie’s Hangout Relationships and In-State Recruiting (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Comparing Flynt to Ingwerson:

Ingwerson is a 4.9 40, 27" vertical

Flynt is a 4.78 40 (last summer), 34" vertical

both are about the same weight - Flynt maybe 5 bs heavier

I don't know Ingwerson's wingspan but Flynt's is 81" - that is NFL OT wingspan

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I feel like we are damned if we do, damned if we don't with regard to in-state recruiting. We want to build relationships with these schools and recruit their kids, but at this point, some of them just aren't takes for us for whatever reason. Given the current roster situation, given what has transpired over the last decade (no bowl games, sucking in general), etc., there will be some kids we just can't afford to take right now because we need difference makers or a certain type of player or whatever. But sometime in the future, one of those schools is gonna have a kid we want/need, and they're gonna give us the middle finger because we passed over their 3* for a kid from Texas. Hopefully Rhule sticks around for the long haul, so that he can build these relationships over time.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If Nebraska's evaluation is Flynt > Ingwerson then yes Flynt is a better recruit than Ingwerson for Nebraska.

You can't sign kids just because they live down the road. There are a lot more power 5 caliber kids in the state of Nebraska than there used to be. They aren't all going to fit what Nebraska is wanting to do and they aren't all going to like Nebraska.

This idea that you have to get every Nebraska kid to Nebraska is dumb. Yeah you want most of them but it's not likely that all 9 power 5 type kids are going to fit the culture a staff is trying to build. Just because they live 40 minutes away doesn't mean they bleed Cornhusker. It's also not likely that all the power 5 kids are the caliber for the Big 10. As we have learned there is a difference between Big 12 recruits and Big 10 recruits.

@ShortSideOption using Flynt is a terrible example. Flynt is a Husker Legacy for God's sake. His sister is on the staff here. You think he's not going to be more loyal to Nebraska?

You absolutely have to put in effort with the local schools. But people completely over estimate how much say a head football coach has in the choice one of his athletes makes. You want those relationships with local coaches so that you can get honest evaluations about their players. If you don't put in that effort you don't get the call from a coach saying "Hey I got this kid who everybody is sleeping on but he's go the frame in 3 years to be a monster" or "Hey this kid is a good player but he has work to do in class or his attitude isn't what you're looking for" etc etc

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
Comparing Flynt to Ingwerson:

Ingwerson is a 4.9 40, 27" vertical

Flynt is a 4.78 40 (last summer), 34" vertical

both are about the same weight - Flynt maybe 5 bs heavier

I don't know Ingwerson's wingspan but Flynt's is 81" - that is NFL OT wingspan
Ya, they are working on taking both because in the end I think they will be at different spots. But as of now they have to recruit both as TEs.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ingwerson is no longer visiting

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
I feel like we are damned if we do, damned if we don't with regard to in-state recruiting. We want to build relationships with these schools and recruit their kids, but at this point, some of them just aren't takes for us for whatever reason. Given the current roster situation, given what has transpired over the last decade (no bowl games, sucking in general), etc., there will be some kids we just can't afford to take right now because we need difference makers or a certain type of player or whatever. But sometime in the future, one of those schools is gonna have a kid we want/need, and they're gonna give us the middle finger because we passed over their 3* for a kid from Texas. Hopefully Rhule sticks around for the long haul, so that he can build these relationships over time.
I am going into that in my Monday article. At some point you can't just offer every kid that has a P5 offer in Nebraska, because there's going to be double-digit nowadays. Hell, Ingwerson who is committed to an ACC school isn't even on Rivals' list of top Nebraska recruits.

My point with the article is more we won't miss on guys we want once relationships are established. Hell, Rhule and his staff went and apologized to the Rezac family and the Westside coaches and said "this won't happen again." There's just ground work that needs to be laid.

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
Got it. I stand by my statement though, purely based on past interviews.
lol I would probably agree there. There is some butt-hurt with just previous staff stuff (not just Frost's).

As I said in previous post, my point of that article was more once we have these relationships, we will know who we want. Won't be late on a kid getting Notre Dame offers, etc. This was the first visit Foley had made to the school (which is understandable, been on the job what 5 months?) Cockeye has been there dozens of times.

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
lol I would probably agree there. There is some butt-hurt with just previous staff stuff (not just Frost's).

As I said in previous post, my point of that article was more once we have these relationships, we will know who we want. Won't be late on a kid getting Notre Dame offers, etc. This was the first visit Foley had made to the school (which is understandable, been on the job what 5 months?) Cockeye has been there dozens of times.
Yeah, my assumption is that Foley will do somewhat of a barn storming every offseason where he tries to hit every high school at least once every 3-4 years, but I would also hope and assume that his energy will be more focused at times towards schools that either have big targets or regularly produce them.

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
Yeah, my assumption is that Foley will do somewhat of a barn storming every offseason where he tries to hit every high school at least once every 3-4 years, but I would also hope and assume that his energy will be more focused at times towards schools that either have big targets or regularly produce them.
Ya, I think he's just trying to get out there and get some face time with people. Makes sense, you can't spend an hour everywhere and hit as many spots as he has.

Again, my point wasn't to bash the staff. It's more just that they probably have better relationships where coaches will call them with kids from Texas before Nebraska coaches might. We have more Texas commits currently than Nebraska. Makes sense with the time spent at Baylor. Once we are up here for a few years they will be all over our guys and have the same relationship is the point I was making.

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
His sister is on the women's track team and his Dad was on the men's track team. His Mom is also a grad.
I'm cool with that... you start telling me though that kids are legacies because their mom was on the rifle team gonna start drawing a line even though that's factually correct as well. ;)

Listen... I just don't think it's that far out of bounds to ask if the Nebraska TE recruit who is 6'7" and committed to Pitt is just as good as the Texas TE recruit committed here who caught 10 balls for 120 yards last year and 2 TDs. Ingwersons stats aren't much better, but they are better. Really the only thing Ingwerson doesn't have over Flynt is that his family wasn't on the track team.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm cool with that... you start telling me though that kids are legacies because their mom was on the rifle team gonna start drawing a line even though that's factually correct as well. ;)

Listen... I just don't think it's that far out of bounds to ask if the Nebraska TE recruit who is 6'7" and committed to Pitt is just as good as the Texas TE recruit committed here who caught 10 balls for 120 yards last year and 2 TDs. Ingwersons stats aren't much better, but they are better. Really the only thing Ingwerson doesn't have over Flynt is that his family wasn't on the track team.
Flynt has better measureables and I would say competition in Class 6A football in the Houston metro is much much better overall than Class A in Omaha

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Flynt has better measureables and I would say competition in Class 6A football in the Houston metro is much much better overall than Class A in Omaha
Michael Richards Yes GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds