Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Bomb Shelter follow up questions (1 Viewer)

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Regarding OL:

They’ve been nothing short of garbage the last few years. We all hear of Teddy’s potential but then he breaks.

We’ve all heard how (has)beenhart and cockran(away) we’re supposed to be great but they blow.

But then you’ve got Nouilli who was supposed to be awesome last year now back, Been Scott and Luvs-a-tugsie among a few other names I don’t know.

Add in that we have a coach who develops, a trainer who’s supposed to make them leaner and stronger and then you have age & experience. How can this line not perform?

What is keeping them from developing as a mostly veteran OL to a point where people look at them and are at least just satisfied?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Im not sure how that can be answered until they've at least played in some games.

Nouilli could still be starting game 1. Could be a lot of reasons he wasn't the first to line up in the scrimmage. Teddy could shock everyone by playing in more than 2 games.

We may look back after the season and be satisfied with the oline. Watching practice and hearing from "experts" and coaches isn't changing anyone's opinion after the last 5+ years.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I feel like the last several years they've been asked to do too many frickin things and had play callers who didn't know/couldn't be bothered to help them and that led to a lot of frickin up
Agree but it was said in the current nuggets that our OL will suck again. That determination has been made by at least one person on this site that has seen them in camp.

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
We have nowhere to go but up.
I think scheme will help our o line look better. Using a FB (lead blocks, ball fake, extra option for a ball carry and extra protection) plus more 2 or 3 TE sets will make a big difference.

Running a spread offense put the o line on an island too much with little back up. If our conditioning and mobility have indeed improved - that’s a plus and will allow for better lateral movement and to get out on sweeps better.

Having agreement between HC, OC and line coach will help. We didn’t have that last year in the off season. So much dysfunction within the coaching staff and it all ran down hill. Definitely agree with Baron on

Dear_Leader

Defensive Lineman
I feel like the last several years they've been asked to do too many frickin things and had play callers who didn't know/couldn't be bothered to help them and that led to a lot of frickin up
From all the different blocking schemes Satt deploys and what we saw in spring, honestly is this going to change? I can only hope

Herbie

Quarterback
I think the under performance is more mental than anything.

Frost and friends recruited based off mainly off height and not much else. Lot of square peg in a round hole with questionable scheme and play calling.
Bryce for instance, makes a shot load of dumb mistakes. Not because he’s the worst oline men of all time but because they fucked him up on the head by recruiting him to fill a position that didn’t match his skill set and the blocking schemes were shit. Then you have an OL coach, OC and HC all in different pages on how they should be coached.

Not sure they can fox the mental side. You just hope they become serviceable

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
I wouldn't count on Teddy to ever be healthy for a full season here. The line will suck fat rod again, I don't think there's much hope there for the next few years unless the really young guys develop quickly and/or we add a bunch of quality transfers.

whoboppin

Linebacker
I don't know specifics, but you don't miss on like 20 4 stars OL in a row. Development has been terrible over multiple coaching staffs. Put these same dudes at Cockeye or Wisconsin and there are multiple All Big Ten players and probably even a few All Americans. Marginal college players have been going to the NFL and having long NFL careers. Hopefully Rhule has the secret formula to get them back.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
From last year, we lost Bando, Hixson, & Williams. Not counting incoming freshmen, we gained Ben Scott & Nouili. That should be a bit of an upgrade in our interior line, personnel wise.

At tackle, Teddy is the wildcard for whether he can give us some production & stay healthy. If he's there, we have another personnel upgrade, if he's not, development & improved play-calling will be our hope.

It's offseason hype, so hard to know how much to count on this, but if reports about increased focus on flexibility & lateral movement are accurate, that would bode well for improved play.

We have some top-shelf potential at TE, as well as a FB to help with putting our protection in more favorable positions too.

I think the pieces are there to go from pretty bad to not-embarrassing.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I've said this the last few years but the Husker Power program that Duval used, was very much focused on running the god damn ball and building road graders on the O-Line. It's not very friendly to spread offenses that need more mobile lineman.

In saying that, my understanding from what Campbell and Rhule have publicly said is basically reverse of what Frost and Duval did. I am skeptical of that part, but my expectations are already low so we'll see what happens.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds