Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking the ice (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Alrighty, let’s get to the elephant in the room based on what we know on this board compared to today and my own opinion....

1. Adrian looks 2018 fast. Would have liked to see some somewhat live hitting on QBs but is what it is. Passing looked sharp and it’s pretty clear who the 1s are across the board and I hope they just continue chemistry through the summer

2. torn on the open the guard position. I will 100% re watch the spring game too many times between now and Bert week and watch the line closely. I was on the Brant Banks train but I feel Sichrerman played better today and I don’t think I like that

3. Omar is a man amongst boys. Toure is a young man amongst boys, but they are a level ahead of everyone else it looked like

4. trenches overall look so much better. I wouldn’t say grown men yet but certainly hog millies full of testosterone pumping at all times

5. LOVE Yant. Sevion looks fast and shifty. Thompkins has a different gear than the rest of them. Ervin looks like a grown man.

6. Haaeberg looked like a deer in the headlights and that’s understandable. Loves him putting off some big dick energy with the wizard. Smothers looks like a better passing version of McCaffrey. If I had my pick for the future, give me Haarberg.

7. Nash is a grown ass man at 19 and it’s scary to think what he could be with another 2 full offseasons in the weight room and 2 full seasons starting

8. Blackshirts look like blackshirts again and I’m proud of that

9. Hated the thud bullshit but I understand it

10. knock on wood, good day for Cam Jurgens

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
If we play solid defense and our special teams improves and we go run heavy on offense we will get 6-8 wins.

Overall the team looks much better physically across the board. More depth at every position. If nothing else, Frost and Duvall have rebuilt and solidified our roster. Now Frost just needs to get to 8 wins and pull in a top 15 recruiting class and Husker nation can breathe a sigh of relief.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
2. torn on the open the guard position. I will 100% re watch the spring game too many times between now and Bert week and watch the line closely. I was on the Brant Banks train but I feel Sichrerman played better today and I don’t think I like that
I just have a really hard time believing that Sicherman is going to be the guy at RG. Even if he is playing well right now, he's in his 6th year here, and if him and Banks are neck and neck, then I assume the staff will go with Banks so that Banks can get a year under his belt going into 2022.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
If we play solid defense and our special teams improves and we go run heavy on offense we will get 6-8 wins.

Overall the team looks much better physically across the board. More depth at every position. If nothing else, Frost and Duvall have rebuilt and solidified our roster. Now Frost just needs to get to 8 wins and pull in a top 15 recruiting class and Husker nation can breathe a sigh of relief.
It isn’t in Frost’s DNA to go run heavy. There are too many examples showing this since he got here.

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG
Martinez looked the same but slimmer and faster, I still hate the fact he had 9 carries in the first half, if he is going to average 15-20 carries a game he will not make it a full season and we will definitely have a losing season.

Running backs look decent and see no reason why we need to plug and play a WR this season, I hope though we find a primary back and not have a back by committee.

WRs - Toure and Manning are beast. Excited for Nixon’s future for sure. Martin and Betts are solid.

Love the screen game, looks to be more of the same from last season. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I’m still not super optimistic about this upcoming season and still see a sub .500 squad especially with our schedule.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Against Rutgers we ran the ball 58 times for 365 yards. Passed the ball 28 times for 255. Which is what I mean when I say run heavy.
That was an anomaly if you look back over the last three years. I can’t see Frost doing this over an extended amount of games, but having a shitty o line doesn’t help either in this regard. It would be nice if our o line was actually good this year. I do have some hope for the o-line. It seems they have recruited well with that position group.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
1. I understand the beaten dog syndrome. I’ve been nothing but generous about things on RSS and justifiable and reasonable the last 3 years about Frost and this program. Gotta show it now.

2. I know nothing. Going with my gut, I think Banks starts at RG because of potential and keeping the same young guys together for a few years to build that actual “pipeline”.

3. I can see an actual run heavy attack starting this year more than what we’ve seen. I don’t think lineman start wearing Run the Damn Ball hats unless there’s something to that

4. This team finally looks big overall. What we’ve seen, and you can tell the difference if you’re looking with a clear head, is instead of a bunch of speedy, small UCF fast guys, were actually seeing big, strong, athletic guys across the board. That will undoubtably pay off in our favor

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
1. I understand the beaten dog syndrome. I’ve been nothing but generous about things on RSS and justifiable and reasonable the last 3 years about Frost and this program. Gotta show it now.

2. I know nothing. Going with my gut, I think Banks starts at RG because of potential and keeping the same young guys together for a few years to build that actual “pipeline”.

3. I can see an actual run heavy attack starting this year more than what we’ve seen. I don’t think lineman start wearing Run the Damn Ball hats unless there’s something to that

4. This team finally looks big overall. What we’ve seen, and you can tell the difference if you’re looking with a clear head, is instead of a bunch of speedy, small UCF fast guys, were actually seeing big, strong, athletic guys across the board. That will undoubtably pay off in our favor
Let’s hope the offensive line makes a big jump this year or atleast shows consistent improvement. It’s been 20 years or more since we had a true pipeline. When the pipeline died, so did Nebraska football.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Let’s hope the offensive line makes a big jump this year or atleast shows consistent improvement. It’s been 20 years or more since we had a true pipeline. When the pipeline died, so did Nebraska football.
Yeah I agree. Just my opinion, I think they will be good enough to be considered “solid” and get the job done. I think it’ll be consistent improvement.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Martinez is still maddening to watch in the passing game. Seems like with our improved WRs, he shouldn't need to hold the ball as long as he does. And for the love of god, why is he so poor on throwing swing passes?! They are usually at the feet of the receiver, or thrown backwards as a lateral. Usually it happens because he's just lazy with his footwork...he doesn't square his lower body toward his target, but rather tries to throw it with all arm while keeping his lower body pointed down the field. I really don't see the improvement from him in throws over 10 yards down field. He is who he is at this point. I think you'll see something like 2400 yards, 19 TDs, and 14 ints. from him in 2021.

Toe

Wide Receiver
On number 3....I think Martin looked good too. That’s quite a starting 3 with Betts, Brown, and Nixon behind them.
Honestly, I thought Betts was going to work his way into the starting three. If the reports are true that he's still not picking up the mental side of the game, well...

Running backs look decent and see no reason why we need to plug and play a WR this season, I hope though we find a primary back and not have a back by committee.
At this point, I fully expect RB by committee this fall. Given the injury history of our RBs, I think the 'primary' back is probably just going to be whoever is healthy. Yant is the lone back who was healthy all through this spring, and while he looks to be solid and a steal as a walk-on, he's probably not gonna be an every down kind of back.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Martinez is still maddening to watch in the passing game. Seems like with our improved WRs, he shouldn't need to hold the ball as long as he does. And for the love of god, why is he so poor on throwing swing passes?! They are usually at the feet of the receiver, or thrown backwards as a lateral. Usually it happens because he's just lazy with his footwork...he doesn't square his lower body toward his target, but rather tries to throw it with all arm while keeping his lower body pointed down the field. I really don't see the improvement from him in throws over 10 yards down field. He is who he is at this point. I think you'll see something like 2400 yards, 19 TDs, and 14 ints. from him in 2021.
Just me but I thought he looked good on throws over 15-20 yards. Omar has to make that catch everytime. I wish they’d toss the swing pass outta the play book. I understand the point, but just run the damn ball

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
I agree, I think we’ll get more of the same. I don’t believe he sees the field well & is only comfortable when guys move to some degree horizontally since it’s easier to see separation but holds the ball otherwise. Maybe someone with more football knowledge can correct me, but I get the feeling he struggles with timing/anticipating throws & exploiting seams/soft spots.

Idk what was going on with rifling it to Manning in the end zone, just give him a catchable ball

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Against Rutgers we ran the ball 58 times for 365 yards. Passed the ball 28 times for 255. Which is what I mean when I say run heavy.
I believe there was a quote of Mills going up to frost ahead of the game and saying something along the lines of “I don’t know how else to say this but I need the ball this game”. Clearly that was a good game plan. Power run first, throw second.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds