Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Colorado Recommendations... (1 Viewer)

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
The wife has been clamoring about wanting to take a small vacation to Colorado for our Anniversary in January. She's never been skiing and it's been years since I have been, but she wants to try it and also wants to try snowmobiling. She's been talking up Vail or Aspen, as that's all the stupid people she follows on Instagram talk about. Any recommendations? I'd like to find a place with a nice cabin/lodge where we could ski for a day or two, snow mobile, that has some cool little restaurants and bars... She's high end when it comes to her tastes and I'm pretty dang frugal, so looking for something in between...

Lemon Barz

Defensive Lineman
The wife has been clamoring about wanting to take a small vacation to Colorado for our Anniversary in January. She's never been skiing and it's been years since I have been, but she wants to try it and also wants to try snowmobiling. She's been talking up Vail or Aspen, as that's all the stupid people she follows on Instagram talk about. Any recommendations? I'd like to find a place with a nice cabin/lodge where we could ski for a day or two, snow mobile, that has some cool little restaurants and bars... She's high end when it comes to her tastes and I'm pretty dang frugal, so looking for something in between...
Steamboat

ac husker

Safety
Elite Member
Beaver Creek. Much smaller than Vail but a great family atmosphere. We go every year in March.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's been a while since I lived in Vail but highly recommend it. Great skiing and food. @vailhusker still lives there. He can help you out.

I'm a big fan of Breckenridge, Aspen, Telluride & Steamboat also. Vail and ASpen gonna be a bit more fancy.

GAHusker

Cornerback
I like Breckenridge for a cheaper option, but I am no expert

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
Steamboat…….thank me later. Just enough off the beaten path. Too damn many folks at Breck, Vail, etc. Aspen, Snowmass home to the high-end snobs.

There ya go……

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Daddy Warbucks aka @#HBD goes on 4-6 ski/snowmobiling trips a winter, so ask him.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
I only know Vail, Beaver Creek and more recently Aspen we moved here about six months ago.

Vail has Vail Village and the Lionshead area that are full of restaurants, clubs/bars, and little shops/high-end stores, and has more of the "Ski Village" look and feel to it.

Beaver Creek is more up on the mountain and is more secluded than Vail not as crowded more of laid-back feeling, at the base of the mountain is a town called Avon which has restaurants, stores, and Bob's a little sports bar/restaurant.

Aspen has a really nice downtown area with a lot of the original 1800s buildings and there is still a lot of houses in town from that era too. They have all of the high-end stores downtown, with nice restaurants and bars.

Like others have said Vail and Aspen are going to be crowded and busy that time of year. Aspen seems to be a little more expensive than Vail. I would look into getting an Airbnb, you might be able to save some money and have more space than the hotels. Depending on where you are staying if you are driving up than I would make sure they have parking available and if it is free or not, if you are flying in make sure you have some short of transportation lined up because the airport for Vail/Beaver Creek is about 20-30 minutes away. The Aspen airport is about 15-20 minutes away. They both have shuttles and buses available I would just have a plan for when you get there.

I forgot Snowmass Village its nice up on the mountain kind of reminds me of Beaver Creek.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
I only know Vail, Beaver Creek and more recently Aspen we moved here about six months ago.

Vail has Vail Village and the Lionshead area that are full of restaurants, clubs/bars, and little shops/high-end stores, and has more of the "Ski Village" look and feel to it.

Beaver Creek is more up on the mountain and is more secluded than Vail not as crowded more of laid-back feeling, at the base of the mountain is a town called Avon which has restaurants, stores, and Bob's a little sports bar/restaurant.

Aspen has a really nice downtown area with a lot of the original 1800s buildings and there is still a lot of houses in town from that era too. They have all of the high-end stores downtown, with nice restaurants and bars.

Like others have said Vail and Aspen are going to be crowded and busy that time of year. Aspen seems to be a little more expensive than Vail. I would look into getting an Airbnb, you might be able to save some money and have more space than the hotels. Depending on where you are staying if you are driving up than I would make sure they have parking available and if it is free or not, if you are flying in make sure you have some short of transportation lined up because the airport for Vail/Beaver Creek is about 20-30 minutes away. The Aspen airport is about 15-20 minutes away. They both have shuttles and buses available I would just have a plan for when you get there.

I forgot Snowmass Village its nice up on the mountain kind of reminds me of Beaver Creek.
* Been to Bob’s (in Avon) a few times. Great spot. A stop at Beaver Liquors (also in Avon) is a must.

* Downtown Aspen def high-end…..😳

* Just stayed in the Snowmass Village area a month ago and love it there. Best leaf-peeping in the state.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
* Been to Bob’s (in Avon) a few times. Great spot. A stop at Beaver Liquors (also in Avon) is a must.

* Downtown Aspen def high-end…..😳

* Just stayed in the Snowmass Village area a month ago and love it there. Best leaf-peeping in the state.

I can't believe I forgot the famous -

OIP.BDhhoWKvu-2reYbnwod9cQHaFj

We were just at Bob's on Sunday for breakfast.

Drue629

Safety
tPB OG
Pick'Em Champion
Breckenridge is close which is nice. Vail is a ski resort with a village built around it. I like Aspen a lot, even if you don't ski there is plenty to do. Steamboat is okay. Beaver Creek is for families but super laid back, just not a lot to do around there.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It looks like the wife and I are booking a cabin in Estes Park from 1/15 - 1/20. Outside of the copious amounts of sex to be had, any must do things in the area or nearby?

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Beaver Creek.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
It looks like the wife and I are booking a cabin in Estes Park from 1/15 - 1/20. Outside of the copious amounts of sex to be had, any must do things in the area or nearby?
Wife and I are planning something similar in February. Haven't booked anything yet, thought about Estes, other area was around Divide. Is the area around Divide worth a shit?

Drue629

Safety
tPB OG
Pick'Em Champion
Go and have a cocktail/tour at the Stanley Hotel. I love that place, I even got engaged there. In the summer there are a lot of cool hiking trails around Estes. In the winter the place is kinda dead lol.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Go and have a cocktail/tour at the Stanley Hotel. I love that place, I even got engaged there. In the summer there are a lot of cool hiking trails around Estes. In the winter the place is kinda dead lol.
It’s not easy to find a decent bar there if that’s your thing. I would go to Aspen or Vail if you want some nightlife opee.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds