Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Frost Updates Injuries (1 Viewer)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

Nebraska has been a bit thin at tight end, according to Nebraska head coach Scott Frost.

Frost said after Friday’s practice that junior Travis Vokolek was “nicked up” but said that Vokolek wasn’t going to be out for the season or an extended period of time. Senior tight end Austin Allen was also not present for Wednesday’s practice, but Frost said Friday that they were just giving Allen “a little time off.”

“I’m going to report to you guys any time we have somebody who is out for the season or an extended amount of time,” Frost said. “We’ve got a bunch of guys nicked up, but we expect them back. Travis is one of them.”

Vokolek, a 6-foot-6, 260-pound junior, appeared in every game last season for Nebraska and made four starts. Vokolek finished the season with nine catches for 91 yards, but with Jack Stoll’s departure was expected to take on a much bigger role for the Big Red this season.

In a recent open media period of practice, Nebraska had a small number of scholarship tight ends available. Also sidelined on Wednesday was walk-on Nate Boerkircher, who had received encouraging reviews from position coach Sean Beckton this offseaosn. Chris Hickman, as well as true freshmen James Carnie and AJ Rollins, each received reps during that open practice period. Recent walk-on transfer Chancellor Brewington also is working at tight end after being listed as a wide receiver. Frost said Friday that walk-on redshirt freshman Jacob Herbek, who had been on the defensive line, was brought into camp at tight end as well.

Freshman Thomas Fidone, the No. 1 tight end in the 2021 recruiting class, suffered a knee injury in spring practices and isn’t expected to be available until later in the season.

“It’s been strange, we’ve been nicked up at that position,” Frost said. “Every camp it seems like there’s one position where you kind of get a rash of things…we had an appendectomy and just kind of another little fluke thing. We’ve been hurting a little at depth there, but the good thing is we’ve been getting young guys reps at that position that I think are gonna help us down the road.

Last edited:

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

Tight ends Austin Allen and Travis Vokolek weren't at Nebraska football practice Wednesday, when media was able to watch the opening minutes of the workout.
But Husker coach Scott Frost said Friday both players will be back on the field at some point.

Allen, the junior tight end from Aurora, was given a little time off, Frost said. Vokolek, another junior, is "nicked up a little bit," but NU expects him back.
The tight end position has taken a hit during fall camp, Frost said.
"Every camp it seems like there's one position where you have a rash of those things," Frost said.

One player in the tight end room — Frost didn't say who — has undergone an appendectomy. There's been another "little fluke thing" with another player, he added.
That's led the Huskers to make a couple of roster moves to get more players in the position. Chancellor Brewington, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound receiver who transferred to NU from Northern Arizona, has been moved to tight end, Frost said, adding that he thinks Brewington is bigger than his listed weight.

Redshirt freshman Jacob Herbek, a 6-foot-5, 265-pounder from Grand Island Central Catholic, has also been added to the tight end room.
The head coach will be in attendance at Saturday's Garth Brooks concert in Memorial Stadium, he said.

The coach is a big Brooks fan, and rattled off "Callin' Baton Rouge," "The Thunder Rolls" and "Every Time That It Rains" as a few of his favorite songs. Frost also recalled his senior year of college at NU when Brooks spoke to the team at a practice.
Frost plans to sit in his private box in West Stadium, a place he says he's never seen the inside of since coming to Lincoln.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Boerkircher is the one that had the appendectomy, last paragraph.

The beautiful, flowing hair from the back of his helmet makes him stand out in the crowd.
It’s a unique look, something that’s required a ton of patience to come in and now, enjoy the spoils of a business in the front, party in the back look.
But, it’s not just his mullet hairstyle that has former Husky Nate Boerkircher making waves inside the Husker football workouts.
His play on the field has started to impress, too.
Boerkircher’s new hair cut was inspired by fellow tight ends Travis Vokalek and former Husker Jack Stoll.
Their Mullet Monday posts have become more popular on social media and Boerkircher enjoys the uniqueness of the mullet.
“Jack and Travis had pretty unique hairstyles when I got here and theirs flowed really well,” Boerkircher said in a phone interview. “I liked how it looked flowing out of the helmet and decided to give it a try.”
While the mullet started to take form in front of all the fans at Nebraska’s Spring Game earlier this year, it wasn’t quite flowing well enough yet. Boerkircher is happy to report that the flow is right where he wants in going through fall camp.
“It wasn’t quite flowing right in the spring but we’re finally getting there now. It looks pretty sick,” Boerkircher noted.
While mom Sherry may have had a bit of reservation on the unique cut, the look is here to stay.
Gotta keep the neck warm for those late November contests.
His hair cut isn’t the only thing people rave about. His on-field play has started to turn heads as well.
It all started during spring practice, where Boerkircher pointed out a huge learning gap.
“Spring ball was a big step for me. Coach (Sean) Beckton is really good at improving players. With his help and a lot of others, I think I took a big step forward,” Boerkircher said. “Even with the weights, I made some big improvements there. That’s important too.”
In fact, the weight room is probably where he’s seen the biggest improvement. His weight is up to 230 and he would like to add a bit more before the season gets going.
“We have a great system going and the way they manage our diets, it does wonders,” Boerkiercher said. “It was very challenging to get used to. It isn’t like high school and took some time to adapt to it.”
A big help for Boerkircher was Cole Ashby’s arrival in Aurora during the summer of 2020.
Ashby was fresh off his time with the Huskers coaching staff and was able to show Boerkircher a few things in the weight room before joining the Huskers program.
Boerkircher is now entering his second fall camp with the Big Red and feels a lot better about everything than he did a year ago.
“It’s been amazing. The guys I didn’t know a year ago are family to me now,” Boerkircher said. “The team is full of really good guys and I’ve made a lot of friendships with those guys.”
In fact, he literally does have some family as a teammate.
Nate’s brother, Ian, has been with the Nebraska football program as a fellow walk-on player since 2019. Their relationship paid off when Nate joined the team in 2020.
“Our relationship has gotten a lot better. We just moved in together over the summer and he thought our relationship would get worse, but it’s actually gotten better,” Nate reported. “We are really close and do a lot of things together. Him taking me under his wing and showing me the ropes meant a lot to me.”
No worries, Mom. They’re getting along.
Because of all the COVID restrictions in 2020, the spring game was Boerkircher’s first chance to not only play for the Big Red, but run out of the tunnel, too.
“It was a really cool experience to one, see fans in the stands and two, run out in the tunnel walk for the first time,” Boerkircher noted. “There’s nothing like it.
“I started to get some jitters in the locker room right before. It was really fun to be in the tunnel walk with my friends and to run out in front of all those fans. There’s no experience that I’ve had in my life I can compare it to.”
Also experiencing that feeling for the first time was his brother, Ian. They shared that moment and feeling together while their parents and family watched with excitement.
“It was amazing. He was the guy that showed me the ropes when I got here at Nebraska so it was great to have him by my side,” Nate said. “We ran out of the tunnel not far from each other and we had fun with one another. He helped me get into this program and I’m grateful for that.”
Despite that, though, it wasn’t Nate’s first opportunity to play in Memorial Stadium.
That came in 2018 when the Aurora Huskies won a Class C-1 state championship, which included two touchdown catches by Nate.
In fact, the only thing Nate thought was different between the two games was the amount of fans in the stands.
Yeah, the spring game had a few more packed in there.
Boerkircher played quite a bit of the spring game at tight end, taking maybe more snaps than originally anticipated due to injuries.
But, that made the experience all the more memorable, especially having some fun with a former Duke rival.
“I went head-to-head with Simon Otte for a lot of the spring game,” Boerkircher said. “We’re good friends now with us coming from Aurora and York. We had fun with one another.”
Boerkircher’s biggest goal for the 2021 season is to make the travel roster and it sounds like that’s a very real possibility.
If you don’t want to take my word, will you listen to Oz?
“Nate Boerkircher has been balling. As of right now he would be on the travel squad,” Husker teammate Austin Allen observed. “He’s been doing really good things and he’s in the rotation if for whatever reason Travis (Vokalek) or I went down. He’s really smart and understands the playbook. What helped him was being on the scout team last year as a redshirt. That toughened him up a little bit.”
Most of us have seen Oz grow into the leader he is today, but what is it like to learn from one of the top returning Big Ten tight ends?
“Oz is someone I see every day and did a lot for me,” Boerkircher said. “He was another guy that showed me the ropes when I got here and he’s helped me out a ton.
“Oz is a role model of a person. He’s a great guy and has done a lot of great things for me.”
Sounds about right.
Everything was rolling along fine for Boerkircher until midway through last week, when he woke up with severe pain.
“Wednesday morning I woke up and had stomach pain in a specific area. I went in early and talked to the trainers and decided I should go to the ER,” Boerkircher explained. “I got some scans and decided it was appendicitis so I got that removed. Now I am recovering and be back in the meeting room soon and back on the field right after that.”
RICHARD RHODEN can be reached at sports@hamilton.net.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Tight ends Austin Allen and Travis Vokolek weren't at Nebraska football practice Wednesday, when media was able to watch the opening minutes of the workout.
But Husker coach Scott Frost said Friday both players will be back on the field at some point.

Allen, the junior tight end from Aurora, was given a little time off, Frost said. Vokolek, another junior, is "nicked up a little bit," but NU expects him back.
The tight end position has taken a hit during fall camp, Frost said.
"Every camp it seems like there's one position where you have a rash of those things," Frost said.

One player in the tight end room — Frost didn't say who — has undergone an appendectomy. There's been another "little fluke thing" with another player, he added.
That's led the Huskers to make a couple of roster moves to get more players in the position. Chancellor Brewington, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound receiver who transferred to NU from Northern Arizona, has been moved to tight end, Frost said, adding that he thinks Brewington is bigger than his listed weight.

Redshirt freshman Jacob Herbek, a 6-foot-5, 265-pounder from Grand Island Central Catholic, has also been added to the tight end room.
The head coach will be in attendance at Saturday's Garth Brooks concert in Memorial Stadium, he said.

The coach is a big Brooks fan, and rattled off "Callin' Baton Rouge," "The Thunder Rolls" and "Every Time That It Rains" as a few of his favorite songs. Frost also recalled his senior year of college at NU when Brooks spoke to the team at a practice.
Frost plans to sit in his private box in West Stadium, a place he says he's never seen the inside of since coming to Lincoln.

Almost thought the Garth comment was from an HOL article

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds