Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Matt Rhule reportedly declines Nebraska job (1 Viewer)

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
Didn’t we even have players following who we thought could be assistants on Twitter?
Yup. I believe it was Smothers and Torres who followed a lame duck coach Glenn Taylor at Arizona St. I believe their intern OC/QB Coach currently, who was also Rhule QB Coach at Baylor.
Also, two Nebraska 2023 verbals following Rhule. Along with Dawson, Ruud and Stai all follow Rhule.

brnred1989

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Yup. I believe it was Smothers and Torres who followed a lame duck coach Glenn Taylor at Arizona St. I believe their intern OC/QB Coach currently, who was also Rhule QB Coach at Baylor.
Also, two Nebraska 2023 verbals following Rhule. Along with Dawson, Ruud and Stai all follow Rhule.
Now Ryan Callahgan (NU Player personnel).?

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Carolina can't stop him from working. But if we were offering, say, $10M, and they wouldn't make up the differfence, he probably would rather stay home or look for someone who would pay him $10M.

For this to work, Carolina either has to believe he can get more than we offered, or be willing to pay him to stay home. Tepper might be that much of a s---
If we offer Rhule $10 million/year Carolina wouldn't be on the hook for anything as they are only paying him $8.875 Million/year. 7 yr $62 million contract. It would be a $1,125,000 raise. He still has over 4 years left on that contract so that is why the total is around $40 million owed. And think about this that was how much he was owed 6 weeks ago. It has gone down by $739,583/month. Should be down over a million by now.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
This is 100% how I've come to view the situation. Nobody truly knows anything, but everyone is speculating. And the media has to pay the bills, so they have to speculate and put content out there.

That being said, we were presented with what I believe was the most substantial, real leak and evidence in the search so far - virtually no one denies that Rhule was on campus anymore from my understanding. So that's what I'm sticking with. It's Rhule. People expected an announcement when Rhule was here. Since there wasn't one, they are speculating that something happened.
Yep, this is 100% my thinking also. The leak and intel Garrett received about Rhule on campus really kicked the rumor mill into high gear.

TalaricoHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
Cant Handle It Cm Punk GIF by WWE

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If he’s your top guy, go get him. Carolina initially paid him 7 years 62m. Match that and move on if he’s the guy you want. That’s 8.85m over that time. That makes him the 9th highest paid head coach.
Most likely it was escalating over time, that's the norm

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If we offer Rhule $10 million/year Carolina wouldn't be on the hook for anything as they are only paying him $8.875 Million/year. 7 yr $62 million contract. It would be a $1,125,000 raise. He still has over 4 years left on that contract so that is why the total is around $40 million owed. And think about this that was how much he was owed 6 weeks ago. It has gone down by $739,583/month. Should be down over a million by now.
It likely isn't equal by year - escalating payments over time are more common, I believe. So maybe 7.5M year 1, 10.5M year 7, something like that - 500K per year. But I am speculating. That would make the last 4 years worth $40M

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Didn’t we even have players following who we thought could be assistants on Twitter?
I believe a few of our QBs were following Glenn Thomas, who I would expect would be Rhule's OC.

On top of that, the Peed Twitter fiasco is another interesting dynamic to add to the mix. But that's speculation...HG's info was confirmed insight.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It likely isn't equal by year - escalating payments over time are more common, I believe. So maybe 7.5M year 1, 10.5M year 7, something like that - 500K per year. But I am speculating. That would make the last 4 years worth $40M
Could be, the one article I read put it at the same rate for every year. But who knows if they have the details or just did the basic math. Also I thought that the reason it was $40 million was because they still owed him for over half of this season plus the next 4 seasons.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
A guy named The Amazing Daniel on Dean3 had a good post about all this Rhule/Panthers contract mumbo jumbo that made me feel slightly more hopeful:

"I'm not a contract expert nor am I an attorney. I have experience being on both ends of contracts involving employment, business, entertainment, etc.

The main thing about the claim that flags it as ridiculous, is this idea that there's anything vague about the money. If there is a "fair market value" clause in the contract (keep in mind, we have no idea if it's worded that way because we have not seen the contract), it is not left open for interpretation. There will be a section declaring what fair market value is and/or how it is to be determined. It certainly is not going to be on par with coaches who have won multiple national championships. On no planet would a contract like that leave the determination of fair market value up to one side to just determine, certainly not the side who owes the payout. Contracts aren't vague about money and how payout amounts are determined, especially not multi million dollar contracts.

The arbitration or legal piece would come into play if the Panthers tried to not pay, and then you'd be litigating breach of contract and potentially a much higher payout, not just going to court to enforce the existing contract. You could conceivably have a case where if we tried to pay him $25k and the argument was made that he wasn't acting in good faith, but that's not a slam dunk (unless there's a minimum written into the contract).

It's a fun thought that we could pay him $1-2 mil for the first 4 years and put the rest to assistants, and then bump him up in year 5. But Turd has a coaching budget, and I don't think he's trying to get cute like that if it's gong to eff up the chances. Just my thought, not based on any concrete facts.

Someone had a sensible theory on why we/Rhule's agent might negotiate with Carolina: Offer them to reduce their payout from $40 mil to $25 mil, We pay Rhule $7 mil per year, so over the next 4 years he makes $53 mil instead of $40, we pay what were were going to pay, and the Panthers pay less than they were going to pay. Something that benefits everyone - that's the only way contracts get altered.

I can tell you NOBODy is paying Matt Rhule like $15 mil to coach.

So, the TL;DNR version? They might have been close, they might have been negotiating, the Panthers might have been in the conversation - but all of that is all based on rumor and speculation.

I guess my point is technically speculation, because I haven't seen the contract either. But a former employer trying to prevent a fired employee from working? That's something that there are laws in place for. One side just getting to decide that market value=the top end of the current pay scale? There is no way that happened."

NoHoHank

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
So you wouldn't take Fickel because he came with Urban's blessing?

We aren't talking about Addazio here.
No, I'm saying we don't need Urban consulting on the hire. I don't think it takes Urban giving Turd his blessing for Turd to know that #2ndChoice is a good coach.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds