Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

National Stories on potential candidates (1 Viewer)

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy

Cliffs:

Lance Leipold
Chris Klieman
Matt Campbell
Mark Stoops

Forde-Yard Dash: Scott Frost's Dismissal by Nebraska Long Overdue
by Pat Forde, SI.com

First Quarter: Frost Melts​

Bringing Scott Frost back for a fifth season at Nebraska (1) was a bad idea from the moment it was conceptualized. Continuing on a vague, hope-over-realism course with a person who had clearly documented he could not get the job done and doomed this 2022 season to exactly the start it has had: 1–2, with both losses coming as a double-digit favorite. Shuffling the staff and hitting the transfer portal wasn’t a plan; it amounted to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Now, Frost is finally out, and the school didn’t even get to save the money its fans had been congratulating themselves on. (Fans rooting for athletic department revenue is one of the more deviously clever tricks College Sports Inc. has played on itself.) His buyout was scheduled to drop to $7.5 million on Oct. 1, but the situation was so bad, Nebraska couldn’t even wait that long.

The choice to hire Frost made perfect sense and carried a load of promise—he was 18-7 at UCF and coming off a 13-0 season; he was a Nebraska hero who understood the program and the state; he had cut his teeth with Chip Kelly at Oregon and coached an entertaining brand of offense.

Then none of it worked. And instead of recognizing that, the Cornhuskers went into denial.

He started 0–6 to begin his Nebraska tenure in 2018, and everyone blamed it on the previous staff leaving Frost nothing to work with. His second season: a 5-7 slog that included no big wins, but athletic director Bill Moos still gave in to the dumbest of all administrative impulses and awarded Frost with an extension that drove up the buyout price. The 2020 COVID pandemic-affected season was a weird disappointment (3-5) and last season was a complete debacle—the Huskers went 3-9 and somehow still stood by their guy.

Now, he’s finally gone with an absolutely cringey record (16-31, worst at Nebraska since Bill Jennings from 1957-’61). It’s even worse upon close inspection: just 10 victories in conference play, despite being in the far easier of the two Big Ten divisions; zero non-conference wins against Power 5 opponents; and a career-killing eight-game losing streak against FBS competition. Georgia Southern on Saturday night was the last straw, but the straw had been piled higher than 100 hay bales by then.

Nebraska now faces a second wake-up call: trying to sell a program of declining prestige without a ready-made ideal candidate like Frost was. It’s never going back to the Tom Osborne days of dominance, but it’s not a flat-out bad job. The place has incredible fan backing, which can be important in the name, image and likeness era—people are likely to invest monetarily as much as they have emotionally, and that can help offset the disadvantages posed by geography and home-state demographics.

So, who would want the job? If Nebraska wants to raid its old conference, there are a few compelling possibilities in the Big 12.

Matt Campbell (2), Cockeye State. He’s done one of the hardest things in college football—turning Cockeye State into a consistent winner. Campbell has an active streak of five straight winning seasons, which last happened from 1923-’27. He’s a midwestern guy who does most of his recruiting within that area. In his seventh season in Ames, and with the Big 12 fighting to maintain competitive relevance, he could be ready to make a move. He’s also just 42 years old, which means his best years likely are ahead of him.

Lance Leipold (3), Kansas. It took far too long for a Power 5 program to hire Leipold, who was a ridiculous winner at the Division III level and then quickly transitioned to FBS success at Buffalo. The former Frank Solich assistant at Nebraska simply knows how to build solid programs in tough places, as evidenced by the Jayhawks’ 2–0 season start and upset of West Virginia on Saturday. Watching Frost’s teams habitually sabotage themselves is essentially the antithesis of the Leipold experience. He could have a nice run in Lawrence, but what football coach would rather be at Kansas (and in the Big 12) than Nebraska (and the Big Ten)?

Chris Klieman (4), Kansas State. Like Campbell and Leipold, Klieman is a Midwesterner with an established track record of huge success on a lower level. Klieman helped continue the North Dakota State FCS dynasty, and has done good work for the past three-plus seasons at K-State. He might have his best team in Manhattan this year after getting off to an authoritative 2–0 start. Like the two names above him, the financial realities of the Big 12 vs. the Big Ten could add to the attraction of Nebraska.

Plus one from outside the geographic footprint:

Mark Stoops (5), Kentucky. John Calipari says Kentucky is a basketball school. You know what is a football school? Nebraska. If, after 10 overachieving years in Lexington, Stoops wants to experience being the big man on campus, Lincoln offers that opportunity. Nebraska also offers a winnable division, as opposed to ramming your head into the brick wall that is Georgia. Stoops has done monster recruiting work in the Midwest, albeit more in the Michigan and Ohio area than further west. He could be driving up his asking price as we speak with what could be UK’s biggest season in decades, but money cannot be any object for Nebraska at this point.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
The List:
Urban
Aranda
Rhule
Freeze
Fleck

Safe Bets Don’t Want:
Klieman luke warm
Leotard meh
Campbell meh
Stoops? (Lol really? He’s leaving a successful rebuild in the SEC for Nebraska?Lol)
Leonhard? Just got smacked by Wash St. he ain’t it.
Bill O’Brien? (According to a family friend he’s a hug control freak douche. Bill Callahan 2.0. Hard pass
Dan Mullen 🤡

Deion Sanders??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 K

The B1G of football is the equivalent of the Ivey League of education. You can’t hire some idiot or fluzzy.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
The List:
Urban
Aranda
Rhule
Freeze
Fleck

Safe Bets Don’t Want:
Klieman luke warm
Leotard meh
Campbell meh
Stoops? (Lol really? He’s leaving a successful rebuild in the SEC for Nebraska?Lol)
Leonhard? Just got smacked by Wash St. he ain’t it.
Bill O’Brien? (According to a family friend he’s a hug control freak douche. Bill Callahan 2.0. Hard pass
Dan Mullen 🤡

Deion Sanders??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 K

The B1G of football is the equivalent of the Ivey League of education. You can’t hire some idiot or fluzzy.
Callahan might have worked if he could have figured out the defense. I don’t care if O’Brien is a dick if he can recruit and bring a legit staff which I think he would do.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
Y
Callahan might have worked if he could have figured out the defense. I don’t care if O’Brien is a dick if he can recruit and bring a legit staff which I think he would do.
Yeah. I’m trying to get info. My older brother, his childhood friend, Sean Ryan. Coached with Bill in Houston. Then Left for Detroit to Coach with Matt Patricia, who’s also from our area in NY. Because he said Bill was never going to give up play calling duties and Sean had aspirations to become an OC eventually and not just a QB Coach.

Staff was finally fired in Detroit. Now my brothers friend is with Rhule and Carolina Panthers.
I asked my brother tonight if he talks to him to get his thoughts of Bill taking Nebraska job.

Sean was coached by my late father in HS (my Pops went to UNL) So, Sean knows our love for Husker Football.

Love to see Sean and Rhule fired and both end up in Lincoln lol 😂.

Sorry, Sean! 😉

Last edited:

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
Our family friend started his career with Giants. Won two SB rings as Offensive Quality Control and then QB Coach (unfortunately one of Eli’s worst seasons 😬

This was my older (little brother) and my nephews and Giants camp. With The Prince

View attachment 13632
Prince loved it when I whipped out a Husker hat for him to sign. He was pumped to see some Husker love.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Urban Meyer - YES
Bill O'Brien - YES
Lane Kiffin - YES
Dave Aranda - YES
Matt Rhule - YES
I just don't see Kiffin happening at all. The rest are also pipe dreams (ones I share!), but I can see realistic outcomes where they are possible.

Charles Huff is this year's Scott Frost. He was a successful position coach, has had 1 mediocre year as a HC, and now is looking to make a run.

Campbell is starting to warm up to me because he is a safe, stable coach. He is the opposite of the last 10 years here. And if he brings a couple of solid recruiters (Mickey), he could definitely take it to the next level. Not to mention, he is already familiar with the Purdy family...

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just don't see Kiffin happening at all. The rest are also pipe dreams (ones I share!), but I can see realistic outcomes where they are possible.

Charles Huff is this year's Scott Frost. He was a successful position coach, has had 1 mediocre year as a HC, and now is looking to make a run.

Campbell is starting to warm up to me because he is a safe, stable coach. He is the opposite of the last 10 years here. And if he brings a couple of solid recruiters (Mickey), he could definitely take it to the next level. Not to mention, he is already familiar with the Purdy family...
If the Chadwell folks really want to go full moron and hire a Sun Belt coach. Give me Huff 100 times out of 100 over Chadwell

NoHoHank

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
My wish list in order:
Gundy
Rhule
Aranda
Vance Joseph
BoB
Soup
Liepold

Urban isn't on there because there's zero chance w him.
Are you a broncos fan? You’d want to live the Vance Joseph experience again?

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
CBS mentioned Gary Patterson. I would have been ecstatic for that 10 years ago. That was a big missed opportunity when we took Pelini.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Turd said some simple things, so let us not over-complicate this.
1. He wants someone who hates losing. Hates it!
2. Money won’t be an issue.

We know Urban hates losing so much that he’ll recruit like a psychopath and work crazy hours to prevent it. But should it still happen, he’ll comfort himself by finger fucking hot blondes.
We also know he’ll demand some coin.
The search begins and ends this weekend, folks!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds