Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

O-line hype is through the roof (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
As we get closer to the season opener….my pessimism grows…not in regards to Rhule. But just the OL.
it will be interesting to see who is playing OL by season-end. Rhule is already talking in a way that sets up the notion that they'll be some unexpected starters by season's end. That also will actually help them move some of the guys with a 6th year off to a new location.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
it will be interesting to see who is playing OL by season-end. Rhule is already talking in a way that sets up the notion that they'll be some unexpected starters by season's end. That also will actually help them move some of the guys with a 6th year off to a new location.
I have a theory that Rhule is currently realizing how bad the team is in an increasing way w each passing day in fall camp. Especially as we get injuries (we are super thin generally everywhere).

I think it was all fun and games in spring and fun in the summer w guys doing contact-less workouts....but now Rhule is seeing all our random injuries and the Frost trademark random absences from practice (Betts the GOAT).

My theory is that Rhule might have thought the team had an outside shot at doing something special like 8-4...by now he probably realizes this may be a 5-7 team ceiling wise & there's nothing he can do about it.

I think we'll start to hear evidence of this in his comments. He'll slowly turn into the Ben Affleck batman interview meme.

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Holy shit balls

Did you guys read that si.com/huskermaxypad article?

O-line might be a strength if the team

Steve Harvey Flirt GIF by Cameo

We win 10 games this year at least, maybe 13

Yes GIF by Brittany Broski

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Between DiNardo saying that we have depth and now this, I’m predicting 8 wins this season, maybe 11

Rhule’s predecessor managed to be a victim of both the disease of high expectations and the disease of low expectations during a relatively short (and excruciatingly long) tenure. Pretty impressive feat.

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
I thought the OL was some of the least of our worries on offense. Not saying they were good, but when you can’t throw the ball, it isn’t going to be easy.

NU had 181 yards on 37 carries, or 4.9 yards per carry. Last year that would’ve been good enough for 3rd in the conference in YPC and 4th in rushing offense (#36 nationally in YPC, and about #45 in rush offense). Last year Minnesota’s defense gave up 109 yards per game and 3.8 per carry (#15 nationally).

Those numbers were obviously helped by some Sims scrambles (and Minnesota not being as good defensively as last year), but even his QB draws and reads early on were going for over 5 per carry. Once they figured out we couldn’t throw the ball it got more difficult. But, 4 turnovers, 2 costly penalties inside the red zone, and no pass threat were the problem. And 1 of the 3 sacks was more on Sims … 4-5 wide and he just held onto the ball.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yep. And the 4.9 ypc is deceiving because it's not like the RBs were just running though big holes or anything. Pass pro was putrid.

I think this picture says enough:
20230901-120833.jpg
I didn't think their run blocking was bad. Not great by any means but not bad.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Yep. And the 4.9 ypc is deceiving because it's not like the RBs were just running though big holes or anything. Pass pro was putrid.

20230901-120833.jpg
3rd & 3 from their 48 and we passing…. if we are who we said we were that seems like a 2 run plays to get 3 yards type of situation. QB power, QB power.

They only brought 3 on that play and Sims had to evacuate immediately. Just terrible all around

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
3rd & 3 from their 48 and we passing…. if we are who we said we were that seems like a 2 run plays to get 3 yards type of situation. QB power, QB power.

They only brought 3 on that play and Sims had to evacuate immediately. Just terrible all around
100%

I like how in the picture we have one o-lineman getting up off the ground, 1 looks like he's just watching the play and the 3rd seems like he's just now turning around despite a dude 5 yards behind him.

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member

20230901-120833.jpg
Yeah this was ugly and with more time may have been able to find someone open(?), but this play HH was the only option it looks like and once that was gone, other than a broken play, this looks like it was toast no matter what.

HH coming across behind the line:
1693590718802.png

HH still coming across, Corcoran already beat. Alex Bullock at the bottom of the screen is already trying to block the WR.
1693590761729.png

HH looking for the pass. Benhart now beat. Billy Kemp is clearing. IGC basically just stops and fronts his DB.
1693590886139.png

HH covered. 3 lineman now beat. Bullock and IGC basically blocking. Kemp is clearing. Not even sure what the 2nd read is supposed to be.
1693590961350.png

Rahmir Johnson looks like the only possible 2nd option on this play. No other receiver (other than maybe Kemp out of screen) is running a route.
1693591030952.png

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Corcoran once again grades out in PFF with a zero in pass protection. He cannot continue to play LT, put a freshman in.
Him and Benhart have been in a spirited competition to earn the (dis)honour of being Nebraska's worst lineman of all-time. Benhart had a yuuuge lead for a while, but Corc quickly closed the gap and took the lead.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah this was ugly and with more time may have been able to find someone open(?), but this play HH was the only option it looks like and once that was gone, other than a broken play, this looks like it was toast no matter what.

HH coming across behind the line:
View attachment 26880

HH still coming across, Corcoran already beat. Alex Bullock at the bottom of the screen is already trying to block the WR.
View attachment 26881

HH looking for the pass. Benhart now beat. Billy Kemp is clearing. IGC basically just stops and fronts his DB.
View attachment 26882

HH covered. 3 lineman now beat. Bullock and IGC basically blocking. Kemp is clearing. Not even sure what the 2nd read is supposed to be.
View attachment 26883

Rahmir Johnson looks like the only possible 2nd option on this play. No other receiver (other than maybe Kemp out of screen) is running a route.
View attachment 26884
Think Kemp and Rhamir were looking for someone to block too. Rhamir was just smart enough to turn and look.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds