Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Gun Purchase Recs (7 Viewers)

Dble E

Cornerback
Elite Member
Libs and limp wrists stay out.

Looking at purchasing a few guns after selling off basically everything several years ago.

Hunting rifles and shotguns I'm good. Handguns all I have is a Springfield xd 9mm.

I'm looking at getting a .45 1911, a subcompact 9mm for wife (she used to have Glock 19), and an entry level AR. Possibly another full size 9mm for myself.

Suggestions for each? I did like the feel and weight of the Springfield 1911 Defender and Garrison, and Kimber Custom II.

Good luck with your criminal activities.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Palmetto State is great.

I’d love a 1911. Watch out for those feds.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

Lol. “Dude, these aren’t modern planes going Mach fück.” Slayed me.

"This is probably the first time the Geneva convention got a complaint that someone was hacking." Cracked me up.
I posted a bunch of his videos awhile back.....

Spent a couple hours awhile back rolling through his videos... He has a few more on youtube that aren't on ticktok because youtube has better guidelines for his content

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Gonna jump in. Alaska boys, what’s the best compact bear pistol? Got an archery elk hunt in heavy grizzly country in 2024.
Not an Alaskan boy, but I periodically hike in areas where bear (black & brown) live.

I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480 Ruger spitting Buffalo Bore 410 grain L.B.T. with a WFN (Wide Flat Nose) meplat that leaves the muzzle at 1,200 feet per second & 1,311 foot pounds of muzzle energy. This is strapped across my chest in a custom leather holster from Diamond D Leather.

There are certainly more powerful pistols to shoot at a bear with, but the muzzle kick on a .454 Casull or a S&W .50 Cal Magnum means you’ll likely only get one shot off by the time you’re done bringing that pistol’s sight line back down from the sky.

You can kill any bear with a smaller caliber pistol if you are both smooth & accurate under pressure with a shot to the central nervous system (CNS). This is NOT the skull area on the bear. It’s behind the nose & mouth - aim there. If it’s a far away charge, a warning shot in the dirt, then a shot into a shoulder to stop the charge & disable the bear, followed by a head shot to end it. Feel free to clean your britches out afterwards.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Libs and limp wrists stay out.

Looking at purchasing a few guns after selling off basically everything several years ago.

Hunting rifles and shotguns I'm good. Handguns all I have is a Springfield xd 9mm.

I'm looking at getting a .45 1911, a subcompact 9mm for wife (she used to have Glock 19), and an entry level AR. Possibly another full size 9mm for myself.

Suggestions for each? I did like the feel and weight of the Springfield 1911 Defender and Garrison, and Kimber Custom II.
For the Mrs. … depending on her hand strength and recoil sensitivity, you might look into the Smith & Wesson M&P EZ series. They’re available in .380 ACP & 9 mm.

The .380 ACP is a knock down 9 mm the same way a .40 Caliber is a knock down 10 mm bullet. With the proper cartridge & bullet combo, it’s accurate, comfortable to shoot, & more than capable of stopping an assault per FBI data. I recommend Hornady FTX 90 grain Critical Defense hollow point ammo for summer and the Underwood 90 grain Extreme Penetrator for winter (it’s a solid copper bullet that won’t get the tip plugged with heavy winter outerwear, keeping it from penetrating to an appropriate disabling depth).

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not an Alaskan boy, but I periodically hike in areas where bear (black & brown) live.

I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .480 Ruger spitting Buffalo Bore 410 grain L.B.T. with a WFN (Wide Flat Nose) meplat that leaves the muzzle at 1,200 feet per second & 1,311 foot pounds of muzzle energy. This is strapped across my chest in a custom leather holster from Diamond D Leather.

There are certainly more powerful pistols to shoot at a bear with, but the muzzle kick on a .454 Casull or a S&W .50 Cal Magnum means you’ll likely only get one shot off by the time you’re done bringing that pistol’s sight line back down from the sky.

You can kill any bear with a smaller caliber pistol if you are both smooth & accurate under pressure with a shot to the central nervous system (CNS). This is NOT the skull area on the bear. It’s behind the nose & mouth - aim there. If it’s a far away charge, a warning shot in the dirt, then a shot into a shoulder to stop the charge & disable the bear, followed by a head shot to end it. Feel free to clean your britches out afterwards.
For the Mrs. … depending on her hand strength and recoil sensitivity, you might look into the Smith & Wesson M&P EZ series. They’re available in .380 ACP & 9 mm.

The .380 ACP is a knock down 9 mm the same way a .40 Caliber is a knock down 10 mm bullet. With the proper cartridge & bullet combo, it’s accurate, comfortable to shoot, & more than capable of stopping an assault per FBI data. I recommend Hornady FTX 90 grain Critical Defense hollow point ammo for summer and the Underwood 90 grain Extreme Penetrator for winter (it’s a solid copper bullet that won’t get the tip plugged with heavy winter outerwear, keeping it from penetrating to an appropriate disabling depth).
Not gonna lie. I get at least 3/4 chub when you talk guns n ammo.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

Shooting a .50cal at a bear would be like sending a mini rpg down range. Only one shot should be necessary. Although a .44 mag would be a little light I always thought it’d be cool to hike with or carry hunting in the high country a S&W 329 which is light as F. Has the scandium alloy frame. I was able to shoot one and with proper control the bite isn’t all that bad.

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
Gonna jump in. Alaska boys, what’s the best compact bear pistol? Got an archery elk hunt in heavy grizzly country in 2024.
Smith and Wesson 329PD all day long in Alaska.
Not compact but lightweight.
You’ll be much more likely to carry it since it’s not a burden to carry.

I carry mine constantly.
I have buddies with heavy Rugers that end up carrying bear spray. Pussies.

Edit - like @LoudHogRider i use a Diamond D leather chest holster. Hard to beat.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Smith and Wesson 329PD all day long in Alaska.
Not compact but lightweight.
You’ll be much more likely to carry it since it’s not a burden to carry.

I carry mine constantly.
I have buddies with heavy Rugers that end up carrying bear spray. Pussies.

Edit - like @LoudHogRider i use a Diamond D leather chest holster. Hard to beat.
How is that light gun to shoot? .44 Magnum has a kick for a lightweight revolver. Just curious ...

22*43*51

Punter Fluffer
Elite Member
Cockeye
for the subcompact/carry gun you may want to add the sprinfield hellcat pro to the list to check out along with the sig mentioned. Thing is small and you still get full grip (including pinky finger) with the standard magazine. Stock mag holds 15 rounds which I think is a round or two more than similar options.
Hellcat is what I carry. Had a 365, but the hand grip was too narrow.

Kimber just came out with a sub.(R7 Mako) Held one at Scheels, had good feel. Likely pick one up.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
How is that light gun to shoot? .44 Magnum has a kick for a lightweight revolver. Just curious ...
See my comment above….or this one. If you have good gun control and aren’t a pussy in the wrist you’ll be fine.
That’s not a macho man comment….honest assessment

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
See my comment above….or this one. If you have good gun control and aren’t a pussy in the wrist you’ll be fine.
That’s not a macho man comment….honest assessment
Q: You know the difference between purple and pink?
A: Your grip!

That's TWO masturbation jokes in one thread. I gotta get a job ...

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds