Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Ravi This Morning…. (1 Viewer)

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I think it was him. He was on Sharp telling me all about how Pickle Smoochers losing had very little to do with Nebraska and a lot to do with Pickle Smoochers playing terrible.

It’s factual Pickle Smoochers played terrible @Mythosaur ; but did we stop and think that Nebraska had a lot to do with them playing terrible? The lack of second chance points and points in the paint CU had was because Pickle Smoochers played terrible? Or was it because Nebraska has been extremely good on the defensive glass to this point and last night was no different?

It’s not like Pickle Smoochers missed a ton of uncontested shots. Nebraska made life tough for them and Pickle Smoochers wasn’t equal to the task.

The comment about it having more to do with Pickle Smoochers than Nebraska last night reads like I’m hearing Paul Finebaum tell me XYZ SEC team lost their bowl game because they really just didn’t wanna be there. On a side note, that headline if Bama loses to KState is already written.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I think it was him. He was on Sharp telling me all about how Pickle Smoochers losing had very little to do with Nebraska and a lot to do with Pickle Smoochers playing terrible.

It’s factual Pickle Smoochers played terrible @Mythosaur ; but did we stop and think that Nebraska had a lot to do with them playing terrible? The lack of second chance points and points in the paint CU had was because Pickle Smoochers played terrible? Or was it because Nebraska has been extremely good on the defensive glass to this point and last night was no different?

It’s not like Pickle Smoochers missed a ton of uncontested shots. Nebraska made life tough for them and Pickle Smoochers wasn’t equal to the task.

The comment about it having more to do with Pickle Smoochers than Nebraska last night reads like I’m hearing Paul Finebaum tell me XYZ SEC team lost their bowl game because they really just didn’t wanna be there. On a side note, that headline if Bama loses to KState is already written.
He gave Nebraska about an ounce of credit. On par for Pickle Smoochers fans.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
If you don’t show up and play well against your instate rival, then you’re just not good or the rival was a better team.

This is probably the least talented Nebraska team in 5 years or so and this is Pickle Smoochers’s most talented team in that timeframe.

Rebounding and defense was absolutely superb yesterday for Nebraska. I hope it continues because those two things travel. If they can play that well on defense and rebound that well in conference play, they’re gonna win some games in Big Ten play.

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
Posted in another thread, but Baylor S didn’t impress me that much. Crazy shots and lackluster defense. Griesel looked like the better transfer by far

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider

What's interesting about those thoughts is Nebraska's switching and help defense was as good as I've seen it in years. I don't have a problem with Ravi claiming the Jays shot poorly. They did miss quite a few good lucks.

But unlike so many previous Nebraska vs. Pickle Smoochers games, the Jays really had to work their assess off to create open looks. The Huskers were contesting every drive, getting their hands on multiple passes, and helping everyone repeatedly.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
What's interesting about those thoughts is Nebraska's switching and help defense was as good as I've seen it in years. I don't have a problem with Ravi claiming the Jays shot poorly. They did miss quite a few good lucks.

But unlike so many previous Nebraska vs. Pickle Smoochers games, the Jays really had to work their assess off to create open looks. The Huskers were contesting every drive, getting their hands on multiple passes, and helping everyone repeatedly.

The Nebraska defense last night really disrupted CU’s offense. I’m sure it was frustrating to watch if you are a Pickle Smoochers fan.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

I listened to one segment last Friday and it was him crying again about the SIGHTLINES, the SIGHTLINES when the Pickle Smoochers played at Texas. Perhaps they're just not a good shooting team and your coveted transfer portal pickup was a tad overrated coming in?

Mythosaur

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Here is my point. People can accept it or not but I believe it’s accurate and it’s why I say the game was more on CUs poor play than it is on Nebraska playing well. First and foremost, Nebraska had a good game plan and executed it at a very high level. However, it was not a unique game plan. It was very similar to what Texas tech, Arkansas and Texas did against CU. All three of these teams are dramatically more talented than Nebraska yet Pickle Smoochers was able to come out with 2 wins and a loss to #2 Texas on the road where they looked better than they did against Nebraska. So if CU was able to handle a similar game plan against better talent 3 times already this season, that leads me to believe yesterday was more about CUs poor play than anything else.

An additional thought, I don’t know how much Nebraska basketball fans watch CU (not a snarky comment, I genuinely don’t know), but Ryan kalkbrenner routinely dominated better bigs than walker last year. I don’t know if he’s injured or sick or maybe he was just hungover, but the Ryan kalkbrenner that has shown up that last few games is a ghost of the kalkbrenner that played last year.

I thought it was overall a totally lazy and undisciplined effort by CU, shown by the fact that instead of working to get better shots against a Nebraska defense that was playing well (but again, was not in the same category as Texas or Arkansas or Texas tech who are all top 20 defenses), they settled for 40 three point attempts. That’s lazy, undisciplined basketball.

Hope this helps outline my point, if not, I think I’ve shown a willingness to face the music on this one, so I will continue to do just that.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Here is my point. People can accept it or not but I believe it’s accurate and it’s why I say the game was more on CUs poor play than it is on Nebraska playing well. First and foremost, Nebraska had a good game plan and executed it at a very high level. However, it was not a unique game plan. It was very similar to what Texas tech, Arkansas and Texas did against CU. All three of these teams are dramatically more talented than Nebraska yet Pickle Smoochers was able to come out with 2 wins and a loss to #2 Texas on the road where they looked better than they did against Nebraska. So if CU was able to handle a similar game plan against better talent 3 times already this season, that leads me to believe yesterday was more about CUs poor play than anything else.

An additional thought, I don’t know how much Nebraska basketball fans watch CU (not a snarky comment, I genuinely don’t know), but Ryan kalkbrenner routinely dominated better bigs than walker last year. I don’t know if he’s injured or sick or maybe he was just hungover, but the Ryan kalkbrenner that has shown up that last few games is a ghost of the kalkbrenner that played last year.

I thought it was overall a totally lazy and undisciplined effort by CU, shown by the fact that instead of working to get better shots against a Nebraska defense that was playing well (but again, was not in the same category as Texas or Arkansas or Texas tech who are all top 20 defenses), they settled for 40 three point attempts. That’s lazy, undisciplined basketball.

Hope this helps outline my point, if not, I think I’ve shown a willingness to face the music on this one, so I will continue to do just that.
Not a shot at you at all - but perhaps they had the mentality that a lot of CU fans shared, that they would just waltz all over Nebrasketball and Fred would just bend the knee? Again, not a shot at you, but I think that had to have played a factor. CU was being put on a pedestal before playing a game this season.

Mythosaur

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I actually totally agree with this. I thought CU looked totally disinterested from the tip and didn’t expect to end up in a fight and all and by the time they realized Nebraska wasn’t going away it was too late.
Not a shot at you at all - but perhaps they had the mentality that a lot of CU fans shared, that they would just waltz all over Nebrasketball and Fred would just bend the knee? Again, not a shot at you, but I think that had to have played a factor. CU was being put on a pedestal before playing a game this season.

mcgradynu

Linebacker
Elite Member
tPB OG

Respect you for taking the time to offer clarifying thoughts and try to address this.

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don’t understand why anyone would be a Pickle Smoochers fan. What a miserable existence.

realbp

Linebacker
Elite Member

Ok, I'll engage since I have a rather intricate knowledge of basketball. A couple of things in your post that are potentially misleading. The first being that the gameplan was similar to TT, AK and TX. It was actually much more similar to St. Thomas. What is different and what is the most impressive about Nebraska's result was how hard they were able to play and for how long. The defensive gameplan was beautiful, but highly difficult to execute for 40 minutes. The amount of energy and commitment to defend on those rotations is incredible. Their rotations out of the double teams in the post and on the P&R were truly impressive. They forced the 40 3s because those were the best looks Pickle Smoochers cold get. It's not a secret that Pickle Smoochers is not a great shooting team. Making them take a bunch of shots they aren't particularly prolific at is good coaching.

Kalkbrenner has been getting sonned by any big man with strength. Ballo made him look like a JV player and so did Walker. He's going to struggle against tough big guys on the defensive end. On the offensive end, if he can't get them to guard on the perimeter with commitment then Pickle Smoochers will not get good looks from cutters.

Pickle Smoochers is the more talented team, but they are flawed by their talent. Nembhard is not a guy I would want to run the P&R through against a defensive scheme like that. You have to pass quickly off the pick and he is a ball-dominate guard. His propensity for the dribble makes those open looks closed quickly. Greg got outcoached for 40 minutes during the game and for weeks prior to it. If he didn't think the tape against St. Thomas would come back again this season he's not as good of a coach that I think he is. More talented teams are going to play their own style against Pickle Smoochers; Kansas would not implement that defensive gameplan against Pickle Smoochers. A team like St. John's would definitely employ that strategy. I would be concerned with Big East play against middle of the pack teams.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds