Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Ski Trip - Breckenridge (1 Viewer)

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Attention patrons of the Platinum Board:

Mrs. Kenyanfeline and I have an anniversary coming up in March. She said she wants to go skiing/snowboarding for a long weekend in Breckenridge. I’ve never been there but she has a long time ago.

Anyways, I have no idea where to start, what I will need, and how much money I should plan on shelling out. Obviously the cheaper the better without being trashy.

Here is where I’m at so far:
-Stay 2 nights
-Ski/Snowboard 1 day

Here is what I need to know:

-Where should we stay? Perks of a lodge versus a hotel? Specific lodges/hotels? Best bang for the buck? I looked at the “Ski Breckenridge” website and the options were limited and pricy. Are there other places to stay not affiliated with “Ski Breckenridge” that I’m just not seeing?

-Should I rent the gear or buy? Not sure how much I would ever use it over the next several years if I bought it.

-What additional gear do I need that I can’t rent? Goggles?

-What can I expect the $damage$ to be?

-Should I take out some additional money in life insurance in case I die?

-What brewery should I get hammered at?

-What is the “can’t miss” dining establishment in the area?

-Are there other resorts within 7-9 hours of Lincoln that I should be looking at instead?

TIA.

Fitzjess21

Cornerback
Elite Member
Go during the weekdays. Much cheaper, less lines.

Rent your gear...unless you want to drop over 1k just for boots and skis. Thats if you don't go more than once a year.

Buy some reasonable goggles on Amazon.

Lift tickets are pricey. Pry 120 bucks a day per person.

I also know you have to reserve days at the resort now. For covid reasons.

Good luck. I love to ski but will pry skip this year.

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Go during the weekdays. Much cheaper, less lines.

Rent your gear...unless you want to drop over 1k just for boots and skis. Thats if you don't go more than once a year.

Buy some reasonable goggles on Amazon.

Lift tickets are pricey. Pry 120 bucks a day per person.

I also know you have to reserve days at the resort now. For covid reasons.

Good luck. I love to ski but will pry skip this year.
I wish I could make a weekday work but can’t with work.

By reserving days at the resort, you mean in addition to lodging and a lift pass?

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG

By reserving days at the resort, you mean in addition to lodging and a lift pass?

I would take a lot of what @Fitzjess21 said and apply it. Although my sons and wife have always preferred Copper Mountain because it's not as busy. Additionally, if you're looking for a place with character, try staying in Frisco because your wife will love getting taken to pound town due to the romantic, rustic feel.

I'd rent vs. buy as this seems like a one time deal. I'd also consider staying a 3rd night. Why? Just when you start having fun, you'll have to head home. One day on the slopes is better than none, but two are better than one.

One other recommendation -- Ollie's Pub and Grub has the best wings and intimate bar atmosphere in the area IMO. There's a location in Frisco and Breckenridge, and it's always fun and doesn't seem to get super full; especially the location in Frisco. One other recommendation is "The Mint" steakhouse in Silverthorne where you grill your own steaks.

Have fun.....I'm jealous.

Fitzjess21

Cornerback
Elite Member
I would take a lot of what @Fitzjess21 said and apply it. Although my sons and wife have always preferred Copper Mountain because it's not as busy. Additionally, if you're looking for a place with character, try staying in Frisco because your wife will love getting taken to pound town due to the romantic, rustic feel.

I'd rent vs. buy as this seems like a one time deal. I'd also consider staying a 3rd night. Why? Just when you start having fun, you'll have to head home. One day on the slopes is better than none, but two are better than one.

One other recommendation -- Ollie's Pub and Grub has the best wings and intimate bar atmosphere in the area IMO. There's a location in Frisco and Breckenridge, and it's always fun and doesn't seem to get super full; especially the location in Frisco. One other recommendation is "The Mint" steakhouse in Silverthorne where you grill your own steaks.

I second The Mint. I was totally against it the first time I went, but it was freaking awesome. Also gotta visit The Goat in Keystone.....

Fitzjess21

Cornerback
Elite Member

Yes. Due to covid you have to reserve days on the mountain. Just showing up with a lift ticket won't get you on the lift.

If your goimg on the weekend be ready to wait in lift lines. Covid has made it worse. They keep the chairs to same party seating now. So lots of unused space on the lifts.

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG

Copper is way too crowded on the weekends. They all are. Covid has helped.

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Yes. Due to covid you have to reserve days on the mountain. Just showing up with a lift ticket won't get you on the lift.

If your goimg on the weekend be ready to wait in lift lines. Covid has made it worse. They keep the chairs to same party seating now. So lots of unused space on the lifts.
Damn I can’t even find anywhere on the site to reserve days on the mountain. I’ll have to call tomorrow.

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
Damn I can’t even find anywhere on the site to reserve days on the mountain. I’ll have to call tomorrow.
It’s all through their site and/or the epic pass site. They’re a vail resort and that’s their process this season. Very simple & you do need to reserve in advance. Unless you’re an epic pass holder, use the link below for Breck.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t go to a Summit County resort this year on a weekend. Go somewhere you don’t get the Denver weekend traffic.

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
It’s all through their site and/or the epic pass site. They’re a vail resort and that’s their process this season. Very simple & you do need to reserve in advance. Unless you’re an epic pass holder, use the link below for Breck.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t go to a Summit County resort this year on a weekend. Go somewhere you don’t get the Denver weekend traffic.
Thanks. So are you saying I need to reserve lift tickets ahead of time and that is adequate?

I just looked and there are lift tickets available that weekend. If I reserve those in advance I’m good to go?

Fitzjess21

Cornerback
Elite Member
Thanks. So are you saying I need to reserve lift tickets ahead of time and that is adequate?

I just looked and there are lift tickets available that weekend. If I reserve those in advance I’m good to go?
No. You need both. Lift tickets and a reservation to use the ticket. Its lame as shit.

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member

Yea, once you confirm you’re going just reserve through their site directly. Easy process. If you’re still a few weeks or more out, they’ll mail them to you.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
One recommendation I'd make is to invest in good goggles. Rent everything else. Nothing worse than foggy goggles while you're trying to make your way down a mountain.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
Hey Kenya, better idea, want to just borrow my goggles for your trip? I'm in Lincoln, assume you are too.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG

Another good idea is not to listen to me because I suggested Frisco.....lol. I wasn't aware you needed to stay on the mountain to purchase/use your lift ticket. No poontang for you staying in a mountain condo vs. Frisco. :LOL:

The goggle suggestion is a must though.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
@kenyanfeline was a serious offer. All I ask for in return is passes to a few practices, sideline passes for a few games, your social security number, $10k cash, a pallet of Coors Light, etc.

Kidding. Let me know if you want to borrow them.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds