Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Which CFB "structure" of the last 25 years would you choose? (2 Viewers)

Which CFB "structure" of the last 25 years would you choose?

• 1998-2013 - BCS, before realignment

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • 2010-2013 - BCS, after realignment

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 2014-2020 - Four team playoff, before NIL/transfer portal

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 2021-2023 - Four team playoff, after NIL/transfer portal

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 2024-?? - 12 team playoff

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • ??-?? - Some futuristic non-NCAA superleague

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
College football has changed SO much since the BCS first attempted to create a more fair way to determine a national champion in 1998. None of the structures that have been attempted have been perfect, they've all had some strengths and weaknesses, but at this point, pretty much everyone seems to think we're on an inevitable path toward a break from the NCAA and the creation of some kind of superleague. But not everyone seems to actually WANT that to happen.

So my question is, if the football gods allowed you to snap your fingers and transform college football backwards to one of the previous structures that have been attempted in the last 25 years, skip ahead to the future superleague, or stay put with the current status quo, what would you choose?

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Pre 1998 should be an option with small conferences, split titles and the rose bowl.

It wouldn’t get my vote but many a tater would choose that.

That was so much fun. It wasn't the most "pure" for deciding a definitive champion, but it was by far the most entertaining.
Yeah I went with post-BCS options because that's when the big wigs first started messing with the formula.

Personally, I have never cared about whether the national campion is "pure enough" in college football. The chaos and wackiness of bowl season, the domino effects of bowl results causing teams to go up and down the polls at the last second, even split titles, all of that was a feature, not a bug!

Take 1997 for example. It was so stupid that we didn't get a chance to take on Michigan, but the result was that both fanbases have gotten to diss each other for the next 25 years and that breathes life into the sport in its own weird way haha.

The fact that we've gone through so many massive changes, all supposedly as an attempt to crown the most "pure" and "deserving" national champion, is nuts to me.

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
It's very surprising to me that anybody who actually lived through the BCS era would want it back. But it sure was fun to argue about whether computers should be part of the equation, and whether it matters that coaches let the towel boy submit their votes for the USA Today poll, and whether a SOS calculation dreamed up by a 5th grader made statistical sense, all on the road to one team being chosen by 5/100 of point on some scale that no human being could actually describe out loud.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's very surprising to me that anybody who actually lived through the BCS era would want it back. But it sure was fun to argue about whether computers should be part of the equation, and whether it matters that coaches let the towel boy submit their votes for the USA Today poll, and whether a SOS calculation dreamed up by a 5th grader made statistical sense, all on the road to one team being chosen by 5/100 of point on some scale that no human being could actually describe out loud.
I voted bcs because I am sick of the circle jerking committee gawl durnit

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
It's not like the committee is less controversial. The first team out is always going to bitch.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Give me the BCS any day of the week. Hate how the importance of the regular season is eroding with the expansion of the playoff.
I’m with you. I hope the 12 team expansion brings back some regular season importance by keeping more teams in the mix throughout the season 🤷‍♂️ The four team playoff has been a bore.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I’m with you. I hope the 12 team expansion brings back some regular season importance by keeping more teams in the mix throughout the season 🤷‍♂️ The four team playoff has been a bore.
I don't see it. The more teams in the playoff the less important regular season matchups become. There are more second chances than ever. A pennant race was exciting and didn't happen every year, with all the teams getting into the MLB playoffs now, it's more exciting if your team is trying to get in, but less exciting for an overall fan. For regular season games to truly be important, then they need to be eliminators, that's what makes them exciting. With a 12 teams playoff the Michigan/tOSU loser is in, so is the UGA/Alabama loser, game doesn't matter and with avoiding a conference championship game, the loser might actually have an advantage.

whoboppin

Linebacker
I think 12 team playoff is going to be amazing. Will be a lot of fun. x100 when Nebraska is in it.

doublewing

Running Back
I'll go all old guy and say pre-BCS.

There was a lot of political shit that went down in deciding the champion, but I miss the days of waking up on Jan 1 and watching the Fiesta, Cotton, Rose, Orange, and Sugar Bowls to figure out who wins it. The Orange Bowl was played in a war zone but we were happy to be there.

The playoffs now are mostly played in domes that look the same and it's the annual SEC coronation.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'll go all old guy and say pre-BCS.

There was a lot of political shit that went down in deciding the champion, but I miss the days of waking up on Jan 1 and watching the Fiesta, Cotton, Rose, Orange, and Sugar Bowls to figure out who wins it. The Orange Bowl was played in a war zone but we were happy to be there.

The playoffs now are mostly played in domes that look the same and it's the annual SEC coronation.
iu

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds