Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Who is the hidden coach? (3 Viewers)

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
I used to work at the Cornhusker Marriott as exec sous chef and chef de cuisine. The team stays there before every home game and we did all the friday night meals, snacks, breakfast on gameday, pre game meals, etc... so we had regular meetings with Dave and the nutrition staff under Frost, and with Kristin/coach Rhules nutrition staff. Dave wanted literally 80 plus hand made items for every meal, would come into the kitchen and start changing his mind on stuff as we're making it to the specs he agreed to 72 hoyrs prior. Kristen was awesome, very demanding but also very cool to work with. Gordon Thomas also, really solid guy.

^^This is correct, especially the part about seeing the writing on the wall and kinda saying fuck it. Frosts last year was super weird to be around, especially seeing him try to sneak in a side door at 5am to go back to his room and shit. I let his ass in the north doors of the basement ballroom (same room blozo went balistic on shortbus in) and he looked like total shit lol still drunk I think.

I just feel Kristin is far more professional and cares more about the players. Dave was good too but seemed more focused on things not involving husker football and that were more personal business type dealings, especially in 2022
Thank you for posting this...Being more professional is spot on, Dave honestly was running his side gig along with being the Director of Nutrition therefore taking away from his job. When I said I Coggin is NOT better than Dave, that was more of a knee jerk reaction to everyone fawning over Kristin. Dave made some good contributions not only too Husker Athletes but to the whole of Performance Nutrition across multiple sports at every level. Kristin will do a good job and as the article states Rhule thinks she hung the moon and the players love her...I'm all for it.

BTW my daughter will be hearing from UCF next week regarding a 3rd interview, also waiting to hear back from Vanderbilt...I'd rather visit Nashville than Orlando but am not picky

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
I'll always side with the Dave-Boyd tree of Husker Power/Nutrition.

But, in 2024, quality food is quality food and everyone that is high up in that industry knows pretty damn well what they're doing. Kids just have to want to take care of themselves at that point.
You have to wonder how much these cooking classes and competitions Rule does with the players make an impact. If someone just tells you to eat these certain foods it's not easy because you don't know how to cook anything good with those foods. Rhule is showing these kids they can make healthy food that tastes as good or better than what they can get from fast food.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
You have to wonder how much these cooking classes and competitions Rule does with the players make an impact. If someone just tells you to eat these certain foods it's not easy because you don't know how to cook anything good with those foods. Rhule is showing these kids they can make healthy food that tastes as good or better than what they can get from fast food.
Cooking is one of the best skills I’ve developed since getting out of college. I love it. Different methods, cuisines, flavors—everyone should know how to cook.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
I'll always side with the Dave-Boyd tree of Husker Power/Nutrition.

But, in 2024, quality food is quality food and everyone that is high up in that industry knows pretty damn well what they're doing. Kids just have to want to take care of themselves at that point.
Boyd ruined quite a few careers with his stubbornness and trying to make money off some of his stupid machines

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The older I get, the more I think it's just about relating and creating relationships and developing young people to be productive citizens in everyday life......through food in this sense. Teaching them how to cook and cook things they like and do it in different ways. Developing.

Frost was just like let's re-create the 90s through my offense and it should work fine. I'm the man and elite recruits will want to come to Lincoln to play for me.

COYS

Linebacker
Benning and Ravi were discussing this in the morning. DB was raving about Kristen. Sounds like she has brought a real personalized touch to the position. He was saying she is so meticulous and knows every athlete on the roster food preferences and allergies as well as holds them accountable. Like she ensures they are doing what’s done with taking their vitamins, taking healthy to go meals, etc.

One thing I found interesting is she got away from a buffet service and every meal is made to order to the individual.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I'd bang Kristen before Dave
Ryan Reynolds Agree GIF by Welcome to Wrexham

Walter Sobchak

Master of smoking meats and trees
Elite Member
Benning and Ravi were discussing this in the morning. DB was raving about Kristen. Sounds like she has brought a real personalized touch to the position. He was saying she is so meticulous and knows every athlete on the roster food preferences and allergies as well as holds them accountable. Like she ensures they are doing what’s done with taking their vitamins, taking healthy to go meals, etc.

One thing I found interesting is she got away from a buffet service and every meal is made to order to the individual.
This was something I thought she wanted to do from the start, the spring game pregame meal was way different from what we were accustomed to. Normally they would have the hotels culinary team man tha action stations/carving statuons, and us chefs led the meal service. However last spring the university brought in their own people/staff to do all that, we just prepped the food essentially and made sure they had what they needed. They brought in like 25 people to do all this...we normally had 6 of us in the dining room and 2 more upstairs in the main kitchen firing food, and 1 or 2 more doing prep for the next days meal/snacks the few times we were fully staffed.
It was a 3-4 day process to execute it. 1 day of planning/ordering/pulling any frozen shit, 2 days prepping it all which filled 2 walk in coolers with over 30 racks of food for meals, and 1 to 1.5 days feeding them depending on game time. Night games were the worst, like 3 full meals plus 2 snacks, hydration stations all over, smoothie stations, fresh fruit etc.... all over the 3 floors of rooms they occupied plus meeting rooms. Lot of work/planning/20 hour days, but lots of fun and really rewarding. We got offered tickets and some gear occasionally as well.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
This was something I thought she wanted to do from the start, the spring game pregame meal was way different from what we were accustomed to. Normally they would have the hotels culinary team man tha action stations/carving statuons, and us chefs led the meal service. However last spring the university brought in their own people/staff to do all that, we just prepped the food essentially and made sure they had what they needed. They brought in like 25 people to do all this...we normally had 6 of us in the dining room and 2 more upstairs in the main kitchen firing food, and 1 or 2 more doing prep for the next days meal/snacks the few times we were fully staffed.
It was a 3-4 day process to execute it. 1 day of planning/ordering/pulling any frozen shit, 2 days prepping it all which filled 2 walk in coolers with over 30 racks of food for meals, and 1 to 1.5 days feeding them depending on game time. Night games were the worst, like 3 full meals plus 2 snacks, hydration stations all over, smoothie stations, fresh fruit etc.... all over the 3 floors of rooms they occupied plus meeting rooms. Lot of work/planning/20 hour days, but lots of fun and really rewarding. We got offered tickets and some gear occasionally as well.
Do all college teams do this? Seems like an incredible waste of money and resources lol

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds