Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Would you take Brian Ferentz as our O-Line coach next year? (3 Viewers)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Have him coach TEs and OTs and have Riaola coach G and C
If you need to hire a guy to help out a coach, you should probably just fire that coach.

In the world we have an opening, sure hire Brian or any qualified coach.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
If Donnie moved on or whatever, definitely.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Serious answer: can he recruit?

Our current OL position coach just got a commitment from the top OT in Hawaii (4*) and has several other inroads w other Poly OL recruits as well.

Ferentz is a better OL teacher but I would wonder about his recruiting. The Poly OL pipeline that Raiola is working to build ends the second you fire Donnie and hire the whitest man ever, Brian Ferentz. Also, unfortunately for him, his name has been a national punching bag for the last 2 yrs, so I wonder if that might hurt him in recruiting? (Maybe not IDK)

Maybe he is a good recruiter, I don't know, I'm honestly asking. Rhule demands mega hours/effort/results from that position coach.
I assume he played a role in getting most of the lineman to Cockeye. Looking at what Cockeye puts in the pros off the line he can recruit and develop.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Serious question, his entire background is in offensive line play including in the NFL under Bellichek. Spent a year as a TE coach where he really got Aaron Hernandez and Gronk going. Developed a good amount of NFL lineman during his time as O-Line coach at Cockeye. Don’t let him anywhere near scheme(outside what is required as an O-line coach) or play calling. Knows the B1G well. Couldn’t be worse than what we have now?

100% would

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Serious question, his entire background is in offensive line play including in the NFL under Bellichek. Spent a year as a TE coach where he really got Aaron Hernandez and Gronk going. Developed a good amount of NFL lineman during his time as O-Line coach at Cockeye. Don’t let him anywhere near scheme(outside what is required as an O-line coach) or play calling. Knows the B1G well. Couldn’t be worse than what we have now?
Pretty sharp guy on OL play...

I think @slattimer shared this a while back

FYI pretty colorful language...

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
He’s good. Really good. Also an asshat.

Watch how they teach their OL to block OZ. Compare it to ours. Completely different. Although ours is pretty much mid zone by definition.

Dammit I wish we would get it figured out. We will I believe

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Dammit I wish we would get it figured out. We will I believe
I think they will. Just wish we’d get someone that doesn’t teach OZ like a mid zone track block. We have no threat, And haven’t had a threat even under frost of a back going out wide opposite the side car. Makes shit easier on a defense.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Hasn't their OL been terrible at run blocking the last 2+ seasons?

I know he hasn't been the OL position coach but he's got to have something to do with it as OC. Just my $.02.

(I do think he's a good OL coach)
Yes, but they’ve had three guys go pro with eligibility remaining in the last few years. George Barnett (OL coach) is a dumbfuck

S&C has also really fallen off since Doyle got canned

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Sad No Way GIF by Sixt

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I think they will. Just wish we’d get someone that doesn’t teach OZ like a mid zone track block. We have no threat, And haven’t had a threat even under frost of a back going out wide opposite the side car. Makes shit easier on a defense.
Are you referring to the scheme not allowing us to get wide or player to get wide?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Are you referring to the scheme not allowing us to get wide or player to get wide?
The way we block our "Outside Zone" which I don't think is really outside zone because we appear to just be on 45 degree tracks...we never have a threat to reach and overtake defenders. If you're not doing that in your outside or wide zone, then you're back is never really going to get outside. It's more of a gain width and look to cut up wherever the crease develops.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
The way we block our "Outside Zone" which I don't think is really outside zone because we appear to just be on 45 degree tracks...we never have a threat to reach and overtake defenders. If you're not doing that in your outside or wide zone, then you're back is never really going to get outside. It's more of a gain width and look to cut up wherever the crease develops.
lat, thanks for the football IQ for us geriatric fvcks. Anywho, that sumbitch Rhule needs more speed option . How do you block that bc these sumbitchs can’t seem to tie their shoes let alone block thanks gbr

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

This is Nebraska's "Outside Zone" To me, it's more of a midzone. There is absolutely no threat of the RB getting outside. This one is a midline zone play. Reading the backside 3 tech. And...it's essentially dead because there is no way the MLB gets blocked, he's a free player, and Purdue is 2 for 2 on the option. This was the first play of the game, and it turns into a decent play because the Purdoodoo LB was a moron and fit the same gap his OLB was in.

NebOz1.png

NebOz2.png
NebOz3.png
NebOz4.png

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
@slattimer so if I understand correctly..

• RT base block EMOL?
  • RG Reach for outside shoulder of 3 tech
  • C Reach hard for PS A gap taking the 0 if he slants, until RG can overtake, then he climbs to mike. If 0 slants away look for 3/5 tech coming to, then climb to mike.
  • LG reach for 0 tech if he slants away climb to mike
  • LT reach for BS 3 tech
  • QB read BS 5 tech

1698850360847.png

I had another question, why wasn't Nebraska having their slot WRs crack the FS? That seems like it would be a natural thing to do given how much man coverage Purdue was playing. It also would have blended well with their option pass and taken away the free player in the scheme.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds