Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yard Care (7 Viewers)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Good points. I was transitioning from zoysia for about the passes year plus, and we get a ton of leaf cover mostly because only 1 neighbor ever takes care of anything outside. Hood full of oaks that drop from September to mid December, but only two of us ever rake. No matter the time of year, I have leaf clutter because of it.
Oaks suck in that regard.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Oaks suck in that regard.
It would help significantly if people would rake even once. 2 doors down is nothing but mole runs and leaves and maybe a few weeds. Same with the neighbor on the opposite side. I could probably make a killing just doing lawn maintenance in the neighborhood

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
My wealth advisor told me to quit spending money. So after I fired him I got rid of my law care company among other things.

Now my lawn is shit and the HOA is annoying me. I might have to sue my wealth advisor.

Sounds like you need to sue your wealth advisor, your HOA and your lawn care company.

IMG-1632.jpg

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Forgot to reply to this part earlier. Remember that urine contains urea, which is loaded with nitrogen. A lot of fertilizers contain urea for just that reason. Piss spots are essentially the same as the 'burn' from over-fertilization - too much of a good thing. So using a nitrogen-rich fertilizer is about the last thing you want to do when you're trying to correct that problem!
Yes sir, learned that in the fall. Bought some winterized from the grass pad in Omaha. Worked great to my knowledge, but there were certainly a couple small burn spots in the front yard.

You think if I scraped up the spots and put some fresh grass seed down, that would help?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
@Pipe Line Yeah, if you get behind on mowing, it's often better to set your mower a little higher and bag the clippings, rather than try to mulch them and leave them covering the grass. Remember that you want to take off a max of 1/3 of the height of the grass at a time.

Also, it's better to aerate in the fall than in the spring. (I go by this maintenance calendar for tall fescue.)
So my best friend has a mowing service on his days off from the fire station. Honestly I pay him to mow, he’s a got a massive industrial sized push mower. It does not have a bag. He comes by once a week. I think the mistake I made last year, and one I’ll try and correct this year is there are weeks when it needs mowed twice in early summer due to rain fall and my own consistent watering. Now that doesn’t solve the grass clippings 100% but I think there’s be a lot less if I kept the grass reasonably short and clean instead of looking like a short pasture some weeks.

We have a pretty old riding lawn mower out at the farm in storage but I’ll probably get me a new riding mower whenever my buddy decides to hang up his mower.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
My wealth advisor told me to quit spending money. So after I fired him I got rid of my law care company among other things.

Now my lawn is shit and the HOA is annoying me. I might have to sue my wealth advisor.
I 🙋‍♂️ would like to apply for that advisor position if you’ll have me. And I will pay for yore first year’s cost for the best lawn-care company wherever the fuck you live.

Please give me a chance. I’m old, I’m desperate and I’m obsessed with with a perfect lawn. You’ll love me……,🙏

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
Yes sir, learned that in the fall. Bought some winterized from the grass pad in Omaha. Worked great to my knowledge, but there were certainly a couple small burn spots in the front yard.

You think if I scraped up the spots and put some fresh grass seed down, that would help?
This is my 2nd full year using Grass Pad. Very happy with it so far. The winterizer seemed to work well for me. My grass is a lot healthier than last spring.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
This is my 2nd full year using Grass Pad. Very happy with it so far. The winterizer seemed to work well for me. My grass is a lot healthier than last spring.
For sure. I may have had some blinders on but I felt like my grass got green like really fast once the temperatures climbed even a little bit the last few weeks, which was cool to see. Ace Hardware ended up having a 4 step Scott’s program for much much cheaper that i ended up going with for this year but It absolutely won’t be my last stop at grass pad.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Taking the plunge and getting an inground sprinkler system installed. Got a few bids lined up for next week. Spent quite a bit of time moving around hoses last year to make the grass green and I've realized over the last 2 weeks that I just don't have that kind of time in the evenings anymore with my daughter's activities being added to week night evenings. Certain spots that I couldn't hit last year either so that grass just baked in the dead of summer. I figure anyone else I've seen that has a system doesn't have those problems. Was going to wait until next year, but, fuck it.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Taking the plunge and getting an inground sprinkler system installed. Got a few bids lined up for next week. Spent quite a bit of time moving around hoses last year to make the grass green and I've realized over the last 2 weeks that I just don't have that kind of time in the evenings anymore with my daughter's activities being added to week night evenings. Certain spots that I couldn't hit last year either so that grass just baked in the dead of summer. I figure anyone else I've seen that has a system doesn't have those problems. Was going to wait until next year, but, fuck it.
It's one of the best purchases you'll make if you care what your yard looks like.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It's one of the best purchases you'll make if you care what your yard looks like.
Started caring once I started having people over for Husker football games a few years ago. You could say it's been a few year process getting it thicker and greener consistently throughout the year. Water fertilizer aerating, all that. I have something similar to an in ground now, just not automatic. It works great but I don't have the time anymore and some spots I can't get.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds