Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Tr Robinson's younger brother entered the portal today (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ok. How do you word that?
The have to perform certain activities to get their monthly pay. If they do not perform those duties, they don't get paid. In addition, failure to perform those duties also terminates the agreement.

A key in these deals is that they actually have to do something to get paid.

Aren't provisions like that pretty standard in independent contractor contracts?

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ok. How do you word that?
There are some questions as to the "legality" of compensation tied to a given school based on NCAA rules.

Relevant section from NCAA Q&A sheet as NIL that is prohibited

"NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should not use NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunity
upon enrollment)"

Of course structuring a deal such that a kid couldn't hold up his end if he transferred would take care of that

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
The have to perform certain activities to get their monthly pay. If they do not perform those duties, they don't get paid. In addition, failure to perform those duties also terminates the agreement.

A key in these deals is that they actually have to do something to get paid.

Aren't provisions like that pretty standard in independent contractor contracts?
There are some questions as to the "legality" of compensation tied to a given school based on NCAA rules.

Relevant section from NCAA Q&A sheet as NIL that is prohibited

"NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school. For example, institutions should not use NIL arrangements to improperly induce matriculation (e.g., guaranteeing a particular NIL opportunity
upon enrollment)"

Of course structuring a deal such that a kid couldn't hold up his end if he transferred would take care of that
This is what I'm getting at. You can't say you must play for Nebraska. At least that's how I read it.

What duties would he have to perform that would be different than playing for another team. You going to make them show up for weekly/monthly face to face responsibilities?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
this is where the 6 and 12 month terms help. They don't have to say the agreement terminates if you're off the team; if someone, say, quits the team and stays in Lincoln, the term on their agreement will end fairly soon worst case.

If they transfer to Oregon, then they won't show up to work, they won't get paid and the agreement will terminate.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
this is where the 6 and 12 month terms help. They don't have to say the agreement terminates if you're off the team; if someone, say, quits the team and stays in Lincoln, the term on their agreement will end fairly soon worst case.

If they transfer to Oregon, then they won't show up to work, they won't get paid and the agreement will terminate.
You certainly aren't making them show up every day though. If it's as little as monthly and my contract is 100k I'm flying my ass back and forth.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This is what I'm getting at. You can't say you must play for Nebraska. At least that's how I read it.

What duties would he have to perform that would be different than playing for another team. You going to make them show up for weekly/monthly face to face responsibilities?
I'm not lawyerly, but I could also imagine vague clauses about anything an athlete may do that affect the value of their NIL allows for termination of the deal. Not exactly you have to be on the team/good at your sport, but close enough that everyone knows what it really means

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
You certainly aren't making them show up every day though. If it's as little as monthly and my contract is 100k I'm flying my ass back and forth.
would you do that if you got as much or more at the next place and trying to do both jobs presented conflicts to attending your practice, your new NIL job, studying? Traveling takes time.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I never dreamed this is where this thread would end up

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
would you do that if you got as much or more at the next place and trying to do both jobs presented conflicts to attending your practice, your new NIL job, studying? Traveling takes time.
Not if I got the same amount somewhere else but surely if it was significantly less.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not if I got the same amount somewhere else but surely if it was significantly less.
it won't be less. If Ty goes after he graduates in the second portal wave, he will be one of the top guys in the portal and they will be bidding for his services. Every team that thinks they are 1 DT short of having a good season will be chasing him. A team like USC that has had trouble securing linemen, even with Riley, would be all over him.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
it won't be less. If Ty goes after he graduates in the second portal wave, he will be one of the top guys in the portal and they will be bidding for his services. Every team that thinks they are 1 DT short of having a good season will be chasing him. A team like USC that has had trouble securing linemen, even with Riley, would be all over him.
Ty isn't the only guy with NIL that will transfer. I'm not specifically talking about Ty.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds