Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Under Center (1 Viewer)

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Because they would be closer to the goal line. Duh Jim
giphy.gif

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Common theme in tater land is the complaint Frost didn't call an under center play from the 2. Can someone explain to me why this would matter?
It doesn't. Taters going to Tater. It's the old adage of, "Well back in our day, back in the 90s, we didn't play no pussy, snap it back there football." Those people are fucking morons and are the same typ eof people that yell "Get'em" and "Block Somebody" at football games.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It doesn't. Taters going to Tater. It's the old adage of, "Well back in our day, back in the 90s, we didn't play no pussy, snap it back there football." Those people are fucking morons and are the same typ eof people that yell "Get'em" and "Block Somebody" at football games.
I think what got them started was the announcer made some reference to it on a 3rd or 4th and short. Like why didn't they sneak it from under center. I know they have some under center plays.

Husker Power

Bench Warmer
I'm a fucking moron then. Be a big boy, go under center, and make it happen. No reason for shotgun there especially in a game we struggled to do anything offensively.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Common theme in tater land is the complaint Frost didn't call an under center play from the 2. Can someone explain to me why this would matter?

I would see why people would think this since the ball would physically be further behind the LOS (if only momentarily) if you're not under center. However, I also believe being in shotgun allows advantages w/field vision.. I also would assume, that things have changed enough in football that it's known that there's no difference statistically in yards gained on goal-line whether it's shotgun or under center? If we know a good sports statistician, I'm sure they'd be able to provide perspective, if any. I want to say HCSF has a statistician on staff, or at least the University employed one at one point.

Sports nerds, and tater-nerds GITT. Apologies in advance for my tater-nerd response.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I'm a fucking moron then. Be a big boy, go under center, and make it happen. No reason for shotgun there especially in a game we struggled to do anything offensively.
Why would you do something you practice very little and are not good at to begin with? They live in the gun. You can certainly up the personnel and run anything you want under center in the gun besides QB sneak. If that's what you want, I'm good with that. Hell, it looked like Nebraska ran Duo in a 4th & 1 situation with a lead back and 2 TEs.

Husker Power

Bench Warmer
Why would you do something you practice very little and are not good at to begin with? They live in the gun. You can certainly up the personnel and run anything you want under center in the gun besides QB sneak. If that's what you want, I'm good with that. Hell, it looked like Nebraska ran Duo in a 4th & 1 situation with a lead back and 2 TEs.
I'd personally like under center more in certain situations. Just getting a little tired of the fake jet sweep constant motioning for a simple 3rd or 4th and 1. Be better than the D-Line and ram it up in there and get it done. If it's from the gun, fine, but the extra motion seems obnoxious at this point. Maybe I'm just frustrated by weird red zone motioning and lack of productivity.

10InchCorncob

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I'd personally like under center more in certain situations. Just getting a little tired of the fake jet sweep constant motioning for a simple 3rd or 4th and 1. Be better than the D-Line and ram it up in there and get it done. If it's from the gun, fine, but the extra motion seems obnoxious at this point. Maybe I'm just frustrated by weird red zone motioning and lack of productivity.
I would love if we could like up nose to nose and run it right at people. Reality is that we're not there. Look at these two depth charts:

LT - Sr
LG - RS Sr
C - RS Sr
RG - RS Fr
RT - RS Fr

That's what we looked like last week...Here's what NW looked like:

DE - SO
DT - RS SR
DT - SR
DE - SR
SAM - SR (Pre-season All Big 10
MLB - RS SR (Pre-season All American + All Big 10)
WILL - SR

The jet sweeps and misdirection are supposed to negate that experience. Get the linebackers eyes focused on a bunch of different reads.

Why does everyone sit there and think that we should've be able to line up and run it right down their throats. Their Front seven had 6 seniors and 1 Sophomore. We had a back-up center, and back-up Freshman guard in there. They're also built to stop the run. Their D-Line holds ground, takes up blockers, and let's very experienced linebackers make plays. Their game plan is to not get gashed and make people earn it on every drive.

They held Maryland to 64 yards rushing and 3 yards per rush. They held Cockeye to 77 yards rushing and 3 yards per rush. Nebraska had 224 yards rushing and 5.2 yards per rush. A lot of that was because of QB runs and those jet sweep misdirection plays. Why think that just because we got inside the 5 that we could switch it up in the i formation and run it right at them? That misdirection worked on MIll's first touchdown.

We made mistakes inside the Redzone, there were some coaching mistakes inside the redzone, there were mistakes by players inside the redzone. But this was not as poorly coached of a game as everyone seems to think.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
This is assuming we could get the snap under center. We just learned how to do the shotgun snap let’s not complicate things even more.

We learned how to get the shotgun snap with guys in motion.....so far.

In other words, the ball is snapped at the wrong time and hits the guy in motion -- thus allowing the defense to recover the football. We haven't seen that so far this year, but probably a good chance we will. :oops:

Husker Power

Bench Warmer
I would love if we could like up nose to nose and run it right at people. Reality is that we're not there. Look at these two depth charts:

LT - Sr
LG - RS Sr
C - RS Sr
RG - RS Fr
RT - RS Fr

That's what we looked like last week...Here's what NW looked like:

DE - SO
DT - RS SR
DT - SR
DE - SR
SAM - SR (Pre-season All Big 10
MLB - RS SR (Pre-season All American + All Big 10)
WILL - SR

The jet sweeps and misdirection are supposed to negate that experience. Get the linebackers eyes focused on a bunch of different reads.

Why does everyone sit there and think that we should've be able to line up and run it right down their throats. Their Front seven had 6 seniors and 1 Sophomore. We had a back-up center, and back-up Freshman guard in there. They're also built to stop the run. Their D-Line holds ground, takes up blockers, and let's very experienced linebackers make plays. Their game plan is to not get gashed and make people earn it on every drive.

They held Maryland to 64 yards rushing and 3 yards per rush. They held Cockeyes to 77 yards rushing and 3 yards per rush. Nebraska had 224 yards rushing and 5.2 yards per rush. A lot of that was because of QB runs and those jet sweep misdirection plays. Why think that just because we got inside the 5 that we could switch it up in the i formation and run it right at them? That misdirection worked on MIll's first touchdown.

We made mistakes inside the Redzone, there were some coaching mistakes inside the redzone, there were mistakes by players inside the redzone. But this was not as poorly coached of a game as everyone seems to think.
Really hard to argue with that

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds