Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Zero Turn Mowers (2 Viewers)

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member
Grew up on cub cadet. But when I bought my house I got a Bush Hog HDR 2561. Runs like a dream and does my yard in no time. Plus, maintenance is easy AF.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Seems like OP has a good list that with a little bit of elbow grease and truck, he could have a free zero turn mower
Facebook Marketplace has some pretty good deals. Got a little screwed by a 4 wheeler so I'm hesitant there, but those prices sure look good on paper.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Have a John Deere zero turn for past three years I bought new. Haven’t had any issues and the financing was handy since it was zero percent for three years. Yeah I know we’re all rich but decided to utilize that other than buy outright. Had a John Deere rider before that and it was a 97 and still going fine.
I keep looking at those because of course "nothing runs like a Deere", even though the deck size and prices don't match what I want.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Grew up on cub cadet. But when I bought my house I got a Bush Hog HDR 2561. Runs like a dream and does my yard in no time. Plus, maintenance is easy AF.
Kinda feel like Cub Cabet is ol reliable. Not super pretty but won't let you down.

betsch

Safety
Used one is tempting of the price, but looking for something that's gonna last atleast a decade so that's why I'm looking more new. Plus, maintenance and what not, I learned with a used 4 wheeler that came with a couple surprises that you just never know for sure.
My Z445 lasted for 12 years before it went down (totally my fault that it did and was working great when it died). Also.....when it died I put it on an auction, and just for the mower with a dead engine I got over $1000 (I can't remember the exact number it could have been $1600) just for the dead mower itself. So the resale of it must be pretty good if people will pay that much for a bad one, they'd pay well for a used one too.

Also, I'm usually one to buy a cheaper brand on something to save some money, but when it came time to get another mower it was totally worth it to spend the money on the John Deere.

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
If you’re willing to spend a little more, I cannot recommend Walkers enough.

For a residential yard of less than one acre, this one would be ideal: Walker Model S

It will set you back $13,500 but they are cheap to maintain. Blades are gear driven instead of belt driven, so you don’t have to worry about throwing belts. Dual hydrostatic steering. You just steer with your fingers. And the collection deck plus grass collector on the back has such good suction that it will stripe your lawn with every mow. Ideal for lawns that are pure and not rough. If you treat your lawn the right way outside of mowing, it will look like a golf course with one of these. The deck is engineered so you won’t scalp your lawn. I have the Model T and I’ll never own a different brand.

And probably the best thing about these is you can buy a lot of cool attachments for them that hook into the PTO:
Snowblower
Snow Blade
Dethatcher
Boom Sprayer
Cab
Broom
Loader Bucket

Depending on what your occupation/schedule is, you can slowly accumulate these attachments and start making money in your spare time. Start a little business. Handle the mowing and snow removal for your neighborhood.

Last edited:

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
Walker mowers are also very good! When it comes to trade though, a Deere is still a Deere and the green paint is worth something.

Toe

Wide Receiver
First of all make sure that a zero-turn is what you actually want. They're great for most lawns, but suck at certain jobs like mowing on a slope. Then buy a Deere. (But not the very cheapest lawn tractors they make - they cut too many corners on those. If it doesn't at least have a V-twin, skip it.)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Some people do...most have rock/gravel landscaping. I would never have grass in AZ...seems like a lot of work.
I can barely keep grass alive with irrigation in midwest heat, can't imagine why anyone would try in Arizona

S6iW9Kw_d.webp

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
This purchase won’t happen till after mowing season due to lack of storage at the moment but I think my decision is down to the Toro MyRide and Spartan. The boss man at work has a good sized acreage and he bought a Spartan and likes it a lot. Their dealer is right across the street from work

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
This purchase won’t happen till after mowing season due to lack of storage at the moment but I think my decision is down to the Toro MyRide and Spartan. The boss man at work has a good sized acreage and he bought a Spartan and likes it a lot. Their dealer is right across the street from work
why are you buying a mower in the fall

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
My father-in-law and I each have a Country Clipper. Some of them are controlled with a single joystick, and others have the twin-levers like all the other zero turns. I’d recommend the twin-lever ones. My father-in-law had one with a joystick but, after awhile we didn’t really care for it. The twin lever gives you much better control.

The deck flips up on these mowers. Pretty simple after you’ve done it a couple times. I got this mower last year so can’t speak for long term reliability, but it seems well built.

Seems like all the companies will have different options for a motor on the same model of machine. Usually a Briggs or a Kawasaki. Just spend the extra money for the Kawasaki, and get one with a heavier fabricated deck as opposed to the stamped ones and you should be set.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds