Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Zero Turn Mowers (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Shopping around for a new zero turn, not looking to buy one till probably late fall realistically. Anybody have one? If so, how have the experiences been with each brand? My research the last week or so has been the Toro Time Cutter seems to be the popular choice for easy operation under 1 acre. I love the Craftsman brand, but seems spotty on the reviews. John Deere seems to be the same, surprisingly. I'd love to get more of a mainstream brand for parts purposes, but the major brands have more negative reviews than I expected.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Shopping around for a new zero turn, not looking to buy one till probably late fall realistically. Anybody have one? If so, how have the experiences been with each brand? My research the last week or so has been the Toro Time Cutter seems to be the popular choice for easy operation under 1 acre. I love the Craftsman brand, but seems spotty on the reviews. John Deere seems to be the same, surprisingly. I'd love to get more of a mainstream brand for parts purposes, but the major brands have more negative reviews than I expected.
Pretty sure Deere had a lot of deck issues. It was cheap and difficult to work on, but they’ve upgraded those issues over the last year+. Whatever one you get, make sure it has a very durable, solid deck, and easy access to replace belts etc. there are multiple good options

Dell Husker

Quarterback
tPB OG
There’s a dealer for Big Dog mowers around us so a lot of people have one. I’ve used one all summer and have liked it

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Pretty sure Deere had a lot of deck issues. It was cheap and difficult to work on, but they’ve upgraded those issues over the last year+. Whatever one you get, make sure it has a very durable, solid deck, and easy access to replace belts etc. there are multiple good options
Yep, I read that. My father in law has a hand me down Deere from his deceased dad and that thing is a monster. That's why I'm tempted there, and obviously the brand. I'm a Craftsman guy myself but the reviews not great for the one I would get and that's disappointing. I have read the modern Craftsman stuff isn't what it used to be. My dad has the old stuff, still runs too.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Yep, I read that. My father in law has a hand me down Deere from his deceased dad and that thing is a monster. That's why I'm tempted there, and obviously the brand. I'm a Craftsman guy myself but the reviews not great for the one I would get and that's disappointing. I have read the modern Craftsman stuff isn't what it used to be. My dad has the old stuff, still runs too.
I had a 61” Toro with a Kohler that kicked some serious ass, but we didn’t need it anymore.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about Ferris in the past, and more recently I know Bad Boy gets a good amount of love because of how easy they are to work on, and they have a solid deck.
Most of them have the same/similar engine options.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
There’s a dealer for Big Dog mowers around us so a lot of people have one. I’ve used one all summer and have liked it
So there's a dealer, that used to be for them, right across the street from work. My dad has one too for the farm, he loves it. He's got a 52" I'm pretty sure. Anyway, great mower. I walked over there the other day, and from what I remember, Big Dog was recently bought out. They have a sweet 36" deck on their website that I wanted to ask him about, but it's no more. The guy did say Hustler is basically the same thing, with a few "comes with" upgrades that Big Dog didn't have. My boss has a Spartan, which is also over at the shop, so something I'm also looking into.

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
I have a Deere Z915B with a 7Iron II 60” deck and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Has 420 hours on it and is a beast. A couple relatives have gotten along really well with Ever Ride mowers also.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I have a Deere Z915B with a 7Iron II 60” deck and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Has 420 hours on it and is a beast. A couple relatives have gotten along really well with Ever Ride mowers also.
Any annoying issues with it at all? I don't mind spending a little more for what the logo says if it's worth it.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
My neighbor across the street has one. Absolutely stellar cut each time. Have seen him have an issue maybe once in the last 2 years. He has one of two yards around me that I'm competing with.

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
Any annoying issues with it at all? I don't mind spending a little more for what the logo says if it's worth it.
Not really. I used to have one with a flip up deck which was really nice for.cleaning but this doesnt have that.

FLusker

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Got a Gravely Mach One - pretty legit. Never bogs down. All steel so I can be rough on it. Does several acres pretty quick.

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
My neighbor across the street has one. Absolutely stellar cut each time. Have seen him have an issue maybe once in the last 2 years. He has one of two yards around me that I'm competing with.
It's all I've ever owned. Old mower had a 72" deck and the current is 60". They have been great to me. I think the current is a Quest that's 8-10 years old.

betsch

Safety
I have a John Deere Z530M and I used to have a Z445. I absolutely loved them both. They always started and never had any issues with either. The only remotely close problem is you need a level area for them to work well (ditches are tough and stuff) but that's more a problem with zero-turns as opposed to a particular brand. Honestly, some of the best money I have ever spent along with my geothermal heating I put in.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It's all I've ever owned. Old mower had a 72" deck and the current is 60". They have been great to me. I think the current is a Quest that's 8-10 years old.
Yep, looked at the Quest. Right in my price range. Thank you!

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I have a John Deere Z530M and I used to have a Z445. I absolutely loved them both. They always started and never had any issues with either. The only remotely close problem is you need a level area for them to work well (ditches are tough and stuff) but that's more a problem with zero-turns as opposed to a particular brand. Honestly, some of the best money I have ever spent along with my geothermal heating I put in.
Used one is tempting of the price, but looking for something that's gonna last atleast a decade so that's why I'm looking more new. Plus, maintenance and what not, I learned with a used 4 wheeler that came with a couple surprises that you just never know for sure.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'll admit I do like some of the financing options. Bobcat has a nice one I just looked at. The rest of their equipment is very popular. I'm going to assume their zero turns are solid as well?

huskin1

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Have a John Deere zero turn for past three years I bought new. Haven’t had any issues and the financing was handy since it was zero percent for three years. Yeah I know we’re all rich but decided to utilize that other than buy outright. Had a John Deere rider before that and it was a 97 and still going fine.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds